Filename Type Size Used Priority
    /dev/zram0 partition 512048 1876 5

Suspend works

button and menu way

have a nice day

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 14.04

@abtabt:

Thanks for these recent posts . . . but in this one I'm trying to figure out what you are showing; is that a section of an xorg.conf file for the 800 iMac? Or just showing that the nvidia driver is being used in the LiveCD/DVD version?

I'd like to get the "suspend" feature working, seems like you get it to work . . . but even though my iMac is now 1GB RAM suspend is still not working in 12.04 . . . . Anyway, when I next get a chance to boot the LiveDVD I'll try this "nvidiafb" approach and see if it gets me to a higher resolution screen--didn't seem to work the other day--screen stayed black.

e.e.p.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I commented on your midori bug. If you follow the link there maybe a patch for you to try.
    The latest WebKitGTK doesn't have the fixes from the patch. I tried to patch WebKitGTK with the latest patch. Unfortunately the patch doesn't work with the latest version of the WebKitGTK.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

More ramblings (okay this is turning into waffle), has anybody compiled the radeon driver from the UMS branch (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...ati/log/?h=ums )?Sort of like how nv was compiled for 12.04? That way the desktop maybe more responsive for radeon users who can't run KMS.
    So I had a go at compiling the UMS branch under Trusty. I had to disable XAA, but then it still didn't compile, and I don't really have the motivation to look much further. If you want UMS then I guess the easiest thing to do is to downgrade the xorg stack.

KMS seems to work better under XFCE (with built in compositor on). No crashes unless you start glxgears or some other 3d application. Normal stuff under default settings it doesn't crash. Lubuntu is much more crash tastic and I have to disable acceleration (noaccel) or force pci mode to make it useable.

Beans

KMS seems to work better under XFCE (with built in compositor on). No crashes unless you start glxgears or some other 3d application. Normal stuff under default settings it doesn't crash. Lubuntu is much more crash tastic and I have to disable acceleration (noaccel) or force pci mode to make it useable.
    @rsavage:

Seems like historically you lean to XFCE . . . which in LM seems to be the better choice. But for PPC users such as myself . . . doesn't seem like as much support in 14.04 as there was for 12.04 . . . there is no "xubuntu for ppc" now right? So, for the ignorant such as myself, what are you suggesting? download a plain-jane ubuntu for ppc and install xfce-desktop?? Is that what you are saying? Understanding there is a strong undercurrent among the various 'buntu flavors . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

@eep, yes I lean to Xubuntu over Lubuntu. But then I like Mate over Xubuntu. There hasn't been a Xubuntu for PPC since 10.04. I'm just exploring, seeing what works. Sharing the info for others.

Anyway, radeon UMS is compiling as I type (it seemed I did have the motivation afteral since it looked an easy fix). We will see if it works...

Forgot to mention, hibernate works in KMS so that is a substitute for the lack of suspend under KMS.

Beans

@eep, yes I lean to Xubuntu over Lubuntu. But then I like Mate over Xubuntu. There hasn't been a Xubuntu for PPC since 10.04. I'm just exploring, seeing what works. Sharing the info for others.

Anyway, radeon UMS is compiling as I type (it seemed I did have the motivation afteral since it looked an easy fix). We will see if it works...

Forgot to mention, hibernate works in KMS so that is a substitute for the lack of suspend under KMS.
    @r:

Thanks for the conversation . . . same question . . . does that mean installing a plain jane ubuntu for ppc and then installing mate-desktop?

But, please let me know what you find on the radeon compile, as it would probably be my radeon iBook that will be the test mule when the time comes . . . . and then if you find something . . . can you dumb it down for me . . . speak slllooooooowwwwwllllyyyyyy so I can figure it out . . . stuff like, "click here, on dat . . . click on dat dere" . . . stuff like that? Well, sort of kidding, know you are up late; I'm figuring that you are saying that now the radeon driver is no longer supported and needs to be "retro-installed" the way the "nv" driver was for the imac????

e.e.p.

Beans

The UMS driver doesn't seem to work. I just get a a black screen. The xorg is probably hanging.

@eep, for xubuntu you would follow the instructions in the FAQ.

Beans

Spectre660 has released a Lubuntu 14.04 iso for all Sam PPC computers.

Download: Sam_Lubuntu_14.04_Netinstaller-1.iso

Beans

Waffle alert!!!! For the Live DVD testing 3/28 daily build of 14.04 on a G4 iBook--using boot params of "live video=radeonfb:1024x768-32" got me into a clean GUI . . . typing this post in it now. Date and time did not connect to the "use internet server" time; and got the also reported "ALSA error" when I checked the music app . . . . Seems "OK" . . . although have to say it doesn't on the surface appear very different than the 12.04 desktop??? I might spend some time to install/upgrade using the sources list method when the LTS version is released??

Have to report that posting on the lubuntu-usrs list garnered no response there . . . perhaps not too surprising, but considering that ppc is fading into the sunset some kind of post back might have been expected?

@rsavage: By "read the FAQ for xubuntu" . . . I'm supposing that you mean to follow the "alternate/mini" install, and then select xu or you are suggesting mate as well?

In terms of the ppc G4 iMac, it seems like "abtabt" has said he's using a USB flashdrive loaded .iso to boot his iMac . . . that the DVD approach doesn't work--and he isn't installing 14.04 on the int HD, but is installing it to an ext FW HD--and that seems to be working for him??? Unfortunately, after the recent recovery og my iMac I got more RAM, but lost the FW ports.

End of waffle alert . . . peace out. e.e.p.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast