Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What has happened to ubuntu servers?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What has happened to ubuntu servers?

and thought i screwed up my repositories list. been fiddlin' with it for an hour or so...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by XAsmodeanX View Post
    Oh no, plenty of conspiracy theories... such as people believed that Ubuntu had been compromised by hackers and they took down some of the repositories to link them to their own so that unsuspecting users would update their system and be infected.
    Yea that one started some time lastnight... http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...65#post1289965

See SuperMike's post... I also saw a link to what looked to be his blog on digg with some other crazy theories.

Some servers were up and then down again since then, UK was available lastnight when US/CA weren't but was not available this morning. CA mirror still isn't working for me. I heard the power outage story but it's hard to see why that would take geographically dispersed servers offline. I can't even get a trace to gulus.usherbrooke.ca (main CA mirror). Maybe it's a mix of problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jordilin View Post
    But, then they don't have what's called UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)??
    A UPS only lasts so long... Any major server center I have seen is hooked into multiple power grids - but the power theory said that both primary and secondary power sources went offline.

I'm not complaining about them not being online either (though it did make installing a few things fairly difficult), just interested in what happened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You may notice that some packages (Frotz and Linx, for instance) still can't be downloaded from the repositories; Just from packages.ubuntu.com.

So, I'm not sure about the power failure theory unless a few servers are just having trouble starting back up.
    Probably nothing bad, but it seems like it must be exciting
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; July 23rd, 2006 at 10:04 PM.

Beans

It was aliens, yeh it was those pesky fellows. They saw that Ubuntu is a force to be reckoned with and figured that if they cause mischief with them that this will be a distraction and they can begin there invasion. They could be amoung us now ooooo ahhhhhhh.

If not Aliens it was Steve Ballmer vowing to Fu***ng burry Ubuntu.

Beans

There was a power outage at the datacenter canonical uses in London. It affected all of the ubuntu sites..
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ah, London, city of my youth!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blitzd View Post
    A UPS only lasts so long... Any major server center I have seen is hooked into multiple power grids - but the power theory said that both primary and secondary power sources went offline.

I'm not complaining about them not being online either (though it did make installing a few things fairly difficult), just interested in what happened.
    Thats why you should have massive generators in the basement with enough fuel for a few days.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek View Post
    There was a power outage at the datacenter canonical uses in London. It affected all of the ubuntu sites..
    Thanks for the explanation. Someone (can't remember who) on #ubuntuforums told me it was down for improvements so the servers wouldn't bog down. Nice to know the real reason.

Regards,
    Stew2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Ubuntu-Geek!

...so it was London based Alien saboteurs that did us in...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast