Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinstalling Windows XP, what happens to boot loader?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Reinstalling Windows XP, what happens to boot loader?

OK guys, I've come up with a MAJOR problem, I need to re-install WinXP but I'm not sure if re-installing it will somehow mess up the BootLoader and it's capability to launch WinXP, so if I install WinXP (with same data/file systme stuff, for example: installed on harddrive, filesystem = NTFS, same as before) with the same install location and filesystem, will the bootloader still be able to launch XP normally?
    {SIGNATURE REMOVED DUE TO IDIOTS MAKING CRAP OF MY SIGNATURE}

Beans

Re: I have a question... about the boot loader and WinXP

Reinstall XP? It is dead, time to bury it and move on. Yes, reinstalling it will screw the bootloader, then you may have to reinstall grub (not sure if this works, I never tried it but sounds plausible)

Why don't you follow your own advice in your sig? sudo apt-get install virtualbox and put XP there, and disable network.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Thechromester420 View Post
    OK guys, I've come up with a MAJOR problem, I need to re-install WinXP but I'm not sure if re-installing it will somehow mess up the BootLoader and it's capability to launch WinXP, so if I install WinXP (with same data/file systme stuff, for example: installed on harddrive, filesystem = NTFS, same as before) with the same install location and filesystem, will the bootloader still be able to launch XP normally?

Would creating another partition with a LiveCD and re-installing to the new partition and dual booting be a viable option?
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Would creating another partition with a LiveCD and re-installing to the new partition and dual booting be a viable option?
    That would work, too, but that would overwrite the MBR so you would only boot into XP after that, and you would have to reinstall GRUB to get back booting for Ubuntu.

If you installed virtualbox and installed XP to that, it would not overwrite the Ubuntu GRUB code in your disk MBR.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

reinstall windows (it will overwrite mbr). care that you only install into windows partition. reinstall grub from Ubuntu (you can use boot repair tool and live DVD/USB to do that). it should solve the issue.

Windows XP must not die!
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Reinstalling Windows XP, what happens to boot loader?

If you reinstall Windows it will overwrite the MBR and you won't be able to boot ubuntu.

To Fix

1. Make sure you have a live Ubuntu CD or USB you can boot from

2. Reinstall windows

3. Fix the MBR as described here: Boot-Repair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    If you reinstall Windows it will overwrite the MBR and you won't be able to boot ubuntu.

To Fix

1. Make sure you have a live Ubuntu CD or USB you can boot from

2. Reinstall windows

3. Fix the MBR as described here: Boot-Repair
    A live CD... meaning, the installation disk?
    Also, I'm using Gnome-Flashback because my graphics card has an impaired ability to use the regular Ubuntu Unity, so can I still get to the boot repair?
    Last edited by Thechromester420; April 4th, 2014 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Also, the reason I'm re-installing WinXP is because the session manager closes unexpectedly, resulting in a BSoD, obliterating the ability to boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    That would work, too, but that would overwrite the MBR so you would only boot into XP after that, and you would have to reinstall GRUB to get back booting for Ubuntu.

If you installed virtualbox and installed XP to that, it would not overwrite the Ubuntu GRUB code in your disk MBR.
    My harddrive have 250 (windows detects 233.???) GB of space, Ubuntu has ABOUT 1.9 GB of space left for using. I REALLY don't think it's a good idea to use virtualbox to simulate XP. Plus, My processor is not the best, my graphics card is somehow critically impaired, and I would prefer VMware to Virtualbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Reinstall XP? It is dead, time to bury it and move on. Yes, reinstalling it will screw the bootloader, then you may have to reinstall grub (not sure if this works, I never tried it but sounds plausible)

Why don't you follow your own advice in your sig? sudo apt-get install virtualbox and put XP there, and disable network.
    Same with the other guy, My proccessor is terrible, GPU is critically impaired, and I would prefer VMware to VirtualBox any day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast