Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Beans

Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Haven't seen any other posts and figured it was worth spreading the word so users are aware.

http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02...file-services/

As of today, it will no longer be possible to purchase storage or music from the Ubuntu One store. The Ubuntu One file services will not be included in the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release, and the Ubuntu One apps in older versions of Ubuntu and in the Ubuntu, Google, and Apple stores will be updated appropriately. The current services will be unavailable from 1 June 2014; user content will remain available for download until 31 July, at which time it will be deleted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

That seemed somewhat shortlived. When did Ubuntu One start 2010?
    I have doubts about a lot of these cloud based services
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    That seemed somewhat shortlived. When did Ubuntu One start 2010?
    I have doubts about a lot of these cloud based services
    Roasted, thank you for the heads up.
    I'm skeptical about 'cloud' services as well, particularly the free ones. There are certain unavoidable expenses associated with such offerings. The bills have to be paid somehow. Then there are the privacy and security concerns.
    Last edited by kurt18947; April 2nd, 2014 at 02:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Threads merged. Kinda makes me glad I use ownCloud if I want to share stuff or have it easily accessible.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

the question is how will that effect sign in here as that is in some way tied to ubuntu one? Is this error some way tied to the end of ubuntu one?
    ERROR
    The requested URL could not be retrieved

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Unable to forward this request at this time.

This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that the cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct connections to origin servers, and all configured parent caches are currently unreachable.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

now also have errors posting replys, with personal messages, and getting logged out.
    Last edited by stalkingwolf; April 2nd, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    the question is how will that effect sign in here as that is in some way tied to ubuntu one? Is this error some way tied to the end of ubuntu one?
    This is already covered in the link in the OP.

Shutting down Ubuntu One file services
    My bold, and...

The shutdown will not affect the Ubuntu One single sign on service, the Ubuntu One payment service, or the backend U1DB database service.
    My bold again.

The errors you experienced may have been due to an unexpected brief problem with mysql which sysadmins had to deal with urgently - hence the lack of warning. I was offline myself when this happened so I have no further details myself at this time, but we would hope to communicate anything of importance if there is anything further to report.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

As a Kubuntu user any integration with my OS was simply not there.

I always saw it as a free service, nothing more, nothing less, as my remote storage requirements were always very basic. I wonder how many users actually paid for an enhanced service that would have helped to make the service profitable?

Time to move on.........
    Last edited by PaulW2U; April 2nd, 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Threads merged. Kinda makes me glad I use ownCloud if I want to share stuff or have it easily accessible.
    Over at LI,three of us tried this and were not impressed.
    It's a shame about Onecloud,but i also do not trust cloud services any further than i can fling a bull elephant.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I think i need to do this, also think i should get that rasberry pi now
    have a guide? and a ubuntu client (i don't need windows support)
    edit thought you said you made your own, maybe owncloud is software to make your own or a service, time to goolge
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast