Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu One File Service Shutdown

SSO will not be affected.

Until it is affected.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Threads merged.

@michael-eacott, Ubuntu SSO is not affected by the shutdown of Ubuntu One file services. Please see my post #7 in this thread.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    @Tar_Ni: not so at all....all you need to have a google drive account is a gmail account (with associated password)...you can log into your web based google drive on ANY type of browser...

I love chrome and of course on Chrome i am always signed into it but you could be on say, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari... log into the drive and access as well as view your documents, pictures and even watch videos you may have on it or mp3s too! (for the mp3s you do need to add the Google Music app)....

Admit it's a tad easier and convenient if you like and use Chrome as i do...but it is perfectly and easily workable using ANY browser (as long as you have a gmail account of course and that gets 15 gb of free storage space)...
    It's a very good cloud service, there is no doubt about that.

I've tried listening to a 1 hour podcast I had uploaded on the drive with Firefox and it didn't work. It says I need Google Chrome to play this file. I suggest you try it and you'll see.

Can't drag and drop files in the Drive neither, you need a chromium browser.

That's what I call steering towards the use of Chrome. You can't have all the feature without it.

I prefer using Onedrive, Box or BitCasa. It is totally browser agnostic and has the same thing Google Drive offer.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; April 6th, 2014 at 04:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

To play that podcast, perhaps you need to add google drive music app to it...i couldn't play mp3s from my google cloud account until i added that on...seems to need it for any kind of audio files...
    I have access to the drag and drop on my Chrome of course, but rarely use it...i usually just have it open my file manager and do it from there...
    I use google viewer to view any videos in my cloud....that comes within the drive account automatically by default...that is also used to view documents, photos, etc...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 6th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by alankon View Post
    Anyone got any suggestions for good alternatives to Ubuntu One (that, obviously, integrate well with Ubuntu)?
    http://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/what-a...u-one-and-why/
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/04/t...ves-ubuntu-one
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Reading this thread my impression is that a lot of Uf-regulars use services other than U1 for their cloud (googledrive seems very popular), if this is the case even for avid ubuntu users it is not surprising that U1 has gone out of business. If they can't make it attractive even for the avid users it is not likely to have wider reach.

Personally I don't use any cloud.
    Exactly. They wanted to reach out to non-Ubuntu users. But seriously, how many non-Ubuntu users are going to use Ubuntu One when we have so many other proven choices out there that don't have a name associated with an operating system they don't want to use? It wasn't destined to generate the revenue they wanted, just like a phone won't, either. I have a feeling that if they want to become a multi-billion dollar company, they're in the wrong line of business. Maybe they need to start selling timeshares to fund their Linux project.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    That hasn't been done before?

And what's with the "failure" and "confession"? The choice of words is interesting.

How many projects Google has started and then "confessed" their "failure" by closing those projects?
    iGoogle is a big one that comes to my mind.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    iGoogle is a big one that comes to my mind.
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ervices-closed lists 39 if anyone is interested ...
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans

Free alternatives to ubuntu1...

Hi

well...as title says...

tia!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    They wanted to reach out to non-Ubuntu users. But seriously, how many non-Ubuntu users are going to use Ubuntu One when we have so many other proven choices out there that don't have a name associated with an operating system they don't want to use?
    +1

And with some of the information floated from Canonical and Ubuntu + Android devices... It would not surprise me to see Ubuntu Unity tie into Google services.

Personally, I think Ubuntu Unity with Google services would be great. Chrome OS does not offer the flexibility or capabilities of Ubuntu Unity - A great OS would be Ubuntu Unity with Google services

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by paracas View Post
    I think Copy is a great alternative to Ubuntu One. It offers generous 15 + 5 GB storage and is cross platform.
    It should be packaged and placed in the Ubuntu repository so that people can install or remove Copy Agent easily from the Ubuntu Software Center.
    Copy also makes it easy to get up in space. I have about 225GB of space in mine. A package for installing in Ubuntu would be great but I do like how it is cross-platform AND cross-distro. (I also have 125GB of OneDrive, 15GB of Google Drive and 2.25GB of Dropbox)

If Ubuntu announces an agreement with Google to use Google Drive I will welcome it from a consumer perspective, but it would also cast a shadow over Ubuntu and Canonical's independence that isn't so easily dismissed. Google has killed off Reader and iGoogle and promised a Linux client a couple of years ago. Not offering a client is one thing, and I can deal with that, but that they promised a Linux client and haven't delivered is what gets me upset.

When you think of it, though, only Ubuntu (Unity) users will miss it. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and other Linux distros have never really had access to it and the web interface sucked enough even it wasn't an alternative.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast