Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Yep...it is pretty generous, isn't it? and 3x as much as ubuntu one was providing for free... works pretty nice too
    What I don't like of Google Drive is the steering towards the use of Google Chrome. It's a good service to just stock your files there and work on documents in the cloud, but if you intend to watch videos, listen to audio files in the drive, say in your mobile phone or tablet you'll need a chromium browser.

There are other cloud services that are totally browser agnostic, such as Box (10B free), OneDrive(8GB free) , BitCasa (5GB free) and Dropbox (2GB free)

In these, you can watch all kind of videos and films, play musics and podcasts, edit documents ect online wth all major browsers supported.

It is not unheard of that one may use more than one cloud services at once, to increase it's amount of free GB.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; April 5th, 2014 at 06:11 PM.

Beans

Re: Going Mad

Please can anyone tell me if it is true Ubuntu One Is closing down?
    I read something in a magazine, But there is nothing on the Ubuntu site about it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@ bobclops, moved your post in here.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Am I the only one who is using Insync to sync my google drive? There is a one off payment of $15 but it works very well. Am quite happy with it.

Beans

Reading this thread my impression is that a lot of Uf-regulars use services other than U1 for their cloud (googledrive seems very popular), if this is the case even for avid ubuntu users it is not surprising that U1 has gone out of business. If they can't make it attractive even for the avid users it is not likely to have wider reach.

Personally I don't use any cloud.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Reading this thread my impression is that a lot of Uf-regulars use services other than U1 for their cloud (googledrive seems very popular), if this is the case even for avid ubuntu users it is not surprising that U1 has gone out of business. If they can't make it attractive even for the avid users it is not likely to have wider reach.

Personally I don't use any cloud.
    My understanding is that Ubuntu One was meant to reach beyond the Ubuntu base as well. It's a service available on Linux, Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.

Of course Ubuntu One vs Google Drive or Onedrive is David against Goliath... But so is Ubuntu against Windows.. The cloud is where the web and a lot of it's user are going and Canonical just gave up for some reason.

I take the ''failure'' of Ubuntu One as a confession that Canonical is unable as yet to find ways to compete against the tech giants and so can't put it's services in the forefront of the market. That doesn't look promising for Ubuntu Touch on tablets..

You know I think that Canonical should try to come up with something new like an email service and go on from there. Google for exemple, started up with googlemail to become gmail and acquired quite a huge user base and so expanded beyond. Yahoo is another model. There maybe something that can be done in this area to steer web users towards Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; April 6th, 2014 at 04:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    You know I think that Canonical should try to come up with something new like an email service ...
    That hasn't been done before?

And what's with the "failure" and "confession"? The choice of words is interesting.

How many projects Google has started and then "confessed" their "failure" by closing those projects?
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@Tar_Ni: not so at all....all you need to have a google drive account is a gmail account (with associated password)...you can log into your web based google drive on ANY type of browser...

I love chrome and of course on Chrome i am always signed into it but you could be on say, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari... log into the drive and access as well as view your documents, pictures and even watch videos you may have on it or mp3s too! (for the mp3s you do need to add the Google Music app)....

Admit it's a tad easier and convenient if you like and use Chrome as i do...but it is perfectly and easily workable using ANY browser (as long as you have a gmail account of course and that gets 15 gb of free storage space)...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 6th, 2014 at 07:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu One File Service Shutdown

I received a notice this morning that the file service would be shut down 1 June, 2014. Has anyone thought about what they will use to replace this service?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu One File Service Shutdown

Some time ago I was forced/encouraged to change the way I logged into this forum.
    I had to logon with SSO.
    That took me to a Ubuntu One page to log in.
    Is this anything to do with the Ubuntu One cloud service and how will I log in to the Ubuntu forum when that service is cut down?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast