Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Beans

Re: Ubuntu One To Be Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I thought they are making money on the cloud and servers, just not on the desktop.
    They weren't making money on Ubuntu One, their cloud storage service. They are heavily focusing on other cloud based server services however, and very well might be coming out in the positives there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I know home servers aren't a sure-fire 100% uptime guarantee, but the last time my server was down was when my UPS died before I could re-wire the electrical outlets in time during my basement renovation a few months ago. I am continually surprised at how little I have to do to ensure it runs. As long as I pay my electric bill, it seems to keep on trucking.
    ugh any other alternatives but the home server? home server can be a bit expencive to maintain or am i wrong? i mean there is electricity, the initial cost...

Ubuntu one was free, fast and easy to use. anything as good as this one out there? would need about 5 Gb as was offered here. it can be even less as long as it's fast and reliable. i don't want to fill up google drive with data. i use spideroak but that one is very slow, so i just use it for backup of a few important files.

another downside with home server is if you go on the other side of the world and try to connect to it the connection could be very slow (compared to cloud services such as google etc.).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Although I'm not necessarily surprised, it's a bit of a downer since I really thought that tight Ubuntu One integration would have been nice to see in Ubuntu mobile devices. I expect the bills started piling up and not enough people were signing up for the paid services, like Ubuntu One Music...perhaps?

Beans

I wonder what people think of the available alternatives? I used U1 for backing up photos from my phone to the laptop and for backing up some docs which I might need on the go. Same for my wife. Now I need to switch to something else.I can probably use some cloud service on my hosting (but not sure if it has an app for Android) or on my NAS (setting up VPN or something) but probably it is easier to use something similar to U1.
    ASUS K53S UbuntuGnome 17.04 64-bit
    Two Dell laptops with 16.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    I wonder what people think of the available alternatives? I used U1 for backing up photos from my phone to the laptop and for backing up some docs which I might need on the go. Same for my wife. Now I need to switch to something else.I can probably use some cloud service on my hosting (but not sure if it has an app for Android) or on my NAS (setting up VPN or something) but probably it is easier to use something similar to U1.
    I am a big fan of ownCloud an am using it on my hosted server. If you have a similar platform/server as an option, have a look at ownCloud. I gave up using DropBox after I started using ownCloud.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    I am a big fan of ownCloud an am using it on my hosted server. If you have a similar platform/server as an option, have a look at ownCloud. I gave up using DropBox after I started using ownCloud.
    Its Android app though is not free . Not that it is expensive but still what if I do not like the service.
    ASUS K53S UbuntuGnome 17.04 64-bit
    Two Dell laptops with 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

At first I thought it was an April Fool's joke. It's a shame. When they first came out with Ubuntu One, it was supposed to be a revenue generator for them. I guess it didn't work out that way. It's too bad Google doesn't get off their backsides and get a Linux version of Google Drive out. I think they give something like 15GB of storage free now. It's funny how they can use Linux in house, and use the Linux kernel for Android, but when it comes to stuff like this, they don't care a whole lot about Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Have a read here:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/36232...n-ubuntu-12-04

You can host your own stuff with ownCloud.
    ownCloud is awesome, but you have to be careful to find out if your hosting allows it. I have web hosting that supposedly includes "unlimited bandwidth and storage," but they don't allow using it for backups. So I'm out of luck with ownCloud.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Funny... Microsoft, Apple and Google all are focused on integrating the cloud with their desktop and mobile devices and Canonical goes and axes its!

Was UbuntuOne truly open source? Maybe the clients, but was the server part ever open?

It started out with some good ideas (sync Firefox bookmarks, contacts, etc.) but then development just stopped. Little changes here and there but otherwise not many improvements over the years. And what the heck was with not having it fully integrated with Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu? Not to mention there may have been more activity if non-*buntu distributions had access (Fedora, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, ... did Mint have a client(? )! ). It took quite a while for it to open up to Windows.

I think a fully open-source server and cross-platform client software as well as a hosting company running this and offering accounts with certain space could be popular, especially in light of the online spy-snooping. OwnCloud is the closest option, but I would love to find an organization that hosts a site (like Dropbox does) using ownCloud and is dedicated to security of data. It would become the showcase of the stable version of ownCloud.

• Dropbox is great, but small and pricey. It does, however, have the advantage of 3rd party plug-ins to access and work your files via the cloud.
    • SkyDrive OneDrive is actually very good, but not cross-platform (at least not Linux). I love it that there is no conversion of files between working on it in the cloud, and working on it locally. Plus you can default your files to Open Document format instead of MS's format so my linked Windows machine running LibreOffice doesn't have to convert or pop-up warnings when opening or saving files, yet they can be opened in the browser just fine.
    • Google Drive is pretty good, but no official Linux port (despite their years of promising one) If they are going to promise one, then they should provide one.
    • Copy is actually cross-platform and provides a lot of space so that may be my next move. It doesn't have the "move" feature via the web browser, but the amount of space available makes up the difference (~207 GB). It even has a move feature that will move files from one service to another without it having to download onto your machine in-between.

I think it is an opportunity lost and I'll be sad to see it go.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    • Copy is actually cross-platform and provides a lot of space so that may be my next move. It doesn't have the "move" feature via the web browser, but the amount of space available makes up the difference (~207 GB). It even has a move feature that will move files from one service to another without it having to download onto your machine in-between.

I think it is an opportunity lost and I'll be sad to see it go.
    Copy is pretty cool, but I had issues with its iOS app. There were too many times when I updated files on my computer, and the iOS app refused to sync and show the updated file. That one issue was enough to cause me to ditch it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Was UbuntuOne truly open source? Maybe the clients, but was the server part ever open?
    This from the link in the OP:

Additionally, we continue to believe in the Ubuntu One file services, the quality of the code, and the user experience, so will release the code as open source software to give others an opportunity to build on this code to create an open source file syncing platform.
    It's not quite clear to me from that whether they mean the client, server or both. The OP in this slashdot discussion appears to think the backend code will be open-sourced, but doesn't cite a source for this statement.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast