Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prevent massive ajax requests in PHP

Hybrid View

Beans

prevent massive ajax requests in PHP

Hi everyone!!

Maybe this is a stupid question.

Let's suppose I have a login system for users, and that logged users can insert posts of texts using Ajax requests on the data base. A logged user can use Firebug to post a big amount of posts on the data base.

How can I prevent this? To prevent a user to use client side JavaScript to post a big amount of Ajax requests. I am using PHP as the server language.

I could use a CSFR token, but once the user has the token in the client side, she/he could use the token to perform thousands of Ajax requests.

Thank you very much!!

Re: prevent massive ajax requests in PHP

Hello,

I am not 100% sure I understand your question, but I would look at doing the checks server side with php. Perhaps you can check the number of database inserts associated with a particular token or session id. You might need to adapt your table structure to do this.

Sorry if I have not been of much help.

Beans

Hello s.fox!

Thank you very much for your quick answer!

Yes, it is what I am looking for. I have read some solutions on the web, and I have just found this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...request-or-not

Maybe it is what I am looking for. They say about generate a new token per Ajax request, so one user can not perform several requests with the same token.

Anyway I will take a deeper look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuchi View Post
    Hello s.fox!

Thank you very much for your quick answer!

Yes, it is what I am looking for. I have read some solutions on the web, and I have just found this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...request-or-not

Maybe it is what I am looking for. They say about generate a new token per Ajax request, so one user can not perform several requests with the same token.

Anyway I will take a deeper look at this.
    You're welcome, you might also want to add in some simple javascript to limit the number of times your submit button can be clicked with some logic checks. This client side measure can of course be overcome by any determined individual and is not reliable.

Beans

Definitely. The client measures are not what I am looking for. You know you can use firebug to write JavaScript code, and thus perform Ajax requests in a loop and inserting thousands of rows in the data base.

Definitely. The client measures are not what I am looking for. You know you can use firebug to write JavaScript code, and thus perform Ajax requests in a loop and inserting thousands of rows in the data base.
    Whenever I do anything that takes user input and puts it into a database table I always use try to protect myself both client and server side. You don't loose anything by having both.

I assume you are reading about mysql_real_escape_string extension, although if memory serves it might be depreciated in php 5.5.0

Beans

Yes I always perform client side checks in JavaScript, but now I am in the scenario where a bad user wants to use Firebug to insert thousands of rows.

I am using PDO extension with prepared statements. I have read it is more secure than mysql_real_scape_string. Do you think so? I am not an expert in backend in PHP.

I am using PDO extension with prepared statements. I have read it is more secure than mysql_real_scape_string. Do you think so? I am not an expert in backend in PHP.
    I am not an expert on security either, but I have looked on php.net and mysql_real_scape_string is being depreciated and they are recommending the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension be used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's not a matter fo Firebug/Javascript. This can be scripted in any language the user fancies. And AJAX request is just a HTTP request.

You can't avoid doing the checks on the server. Possible counter-measures:
    • add a delay in your answer: a half-second delay will be barely noticed by normal users, but will slow down code
    • keep a "last request" time stamp for each user, and reject requests that come within some delay (20-60 seconds)
    • lock out users after X posts per hour/day
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans

How about just adding a table to the database that logs the number of requests per token? Then when the next request arrives, you check to see if the total exceeds some ceiling and inform the user that the limit has been reached. You could also arbitrarily bump persistently annoying users off the system by refusing to authorize their credentials at login.

Are you concerned about the number of POSTs or their lengths as well? For the latter, just check the length of the request and complain if it is too long. You might want to add the cumulative number of bytes posted to that database table as well as count the number of requests.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast