Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Integrated Webcam Not Found After Updates

Beans

Integrated Webcam Not Found After Updates

I have looked through the forums, but cannot find an answer, so I apologize if this is easy.

I had just finished an online tutoring session with my webcam about an hour ago, then automatically installed 11 new updates that were ready to be installed. I went back on to start a new session, and for some reason my webcam can no longer found anywhere (Cheese, gstreamer-properties, websites, etc).

I have a Dell E6400 with 12.04. I had no problems before the updates. This is obviously a HUGE problem as I need the webcam for these sessions. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Integrated Webcam Not Found After Updates

I just grabbed a backup old USB webcam to test it out, and it worked fine.

Beans

Just tried lsusb, is not showing up.

Beans

I have the same problem, my webcam isn't working for some reason, cheese can no longer take photos or video through the integrated webcam. And if I try to log in to online sessions I get error message of no webcam found. Mine is a Samsung NP350 running 12.04
    Last edited by Dowiro; April 3rd, 2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: To include vital information

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

If a bug has been introduced to 12.04 you can't be sure it will be fixed. 14.04 is on the way, and developers are changing focus.
    While you wait for a fix to (maybe) come up you could try a live boot of 13.10.
    Please help testing a new tool for hardware diagnostics.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    If a bug has been introduced to 12.04 you can't be sure it will be fixed. 14.04 is on the way, and developers are changing focus.
    While you wait for a fix to (maybe) come up you could try a live boot of 13.10.
    I am confused. What is the point of "LTS" if support is only given for the first 2 years of the 5?

Beans
    Distro

Support means that security bugs are fixed. Non-security bugs may or may not.

In general people should be better in abandoning old versions, supported or not, and install new ones in stead, especially when a problem appears.

Beans

Support means that security bugs are fixed. Non-security bugs may or may not.

In general people should be better in abandoning old versions, supported or not, and install new ones in stead, especially when a problem appears.
    OK, that makes sense about security updates.

Dowiro: I went into Grub (holding Shift while booting), and just selected the option to use a previous kernel. Problem solved for me until 14.04 is ready (couldn't use Final Beta due to bugs, but they look like they are solved).

EDIT: I am using 3.8.0 now.

Beans
    Distro

That's a good idea. When a new kernel arrives you can check if the bug has been fixed.

Please mark the thread 'solved'.

Beans

That's a good idea. When a new kernel arrives you can check if the bug has been fixed.

Please mark the thread 'solved'.
    So I have been using 14.04 since the day it came out, and everything worked great. Just updated the system, restarted, and integrated webcam is out again.

This is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast