Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not loading on sony PCG-7QCP laptop

Beans

Not loading on sony PCG-7QCP laptop

I have an old Sony Vaio laptop, and I am trying to put Ubuntu on it. The CD boots to begin with (12.04 and 13.10 do the same thing), but before it even get to the stage where you choose live or install, it hangs (the 4 dots stop changing colors). It is 32-bit (only a 32-bit CPU), and because the loading screen is there, I cant even see the output to see what is causing it to die. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Not loading on sony PCG-7QCP laptop

How does it work with Lubuntu 13.10?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

OK, have tired lubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 beta 2.
    12.04 can boot to live cd!!! But there is a bug in the install disk! If you go into verify (on any computer, and tried multiple burns), it fails verification! It also hangs while trying to install.
    14.04 beta 2 hangs on boot, just like ubuntu does.

I have managed to get to the loading screen instead of the splash, and it seems to stop around the bluetooth daemon starting. Although in Ubuntu 13.10, it seems to hang randomly as its initializing things. I cant get anywhere near trying the live version. If I press esc as soon as the cd spins up, I can get to the language selection and select to install or try, but its just after there it hangs either way.

Beans
    Distro

Random hangs could be caused by bad memory.
    Have you tried running memtest from the boot menu? Best to give it at least an hour.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Tried that, no errors or crashes. It was also up and running in windows 7 no problems.

Beans

WOOHOO!! Got Ubuntu 14.04 installed. Once I got into the advance menu, selected acpi=off, and it stopped whatever was causing the issue!

The issue I have now is that once booted, the CPU sits pretty much at 100% and it runs so slow! Its a celeron 1.6GHz (so way above the requirements of the 700mhz). Im wondering if its something to do with the video card (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900)? There are no additional drivers that show.

Beans
    Distro

Good, have you tried Lubuntu 14.04 with the same boot option?

Beans

Yep, this option seems to work in any version. Now just trying to sort out the GMA 900 video card. Do you know what the system requirements are for Ubuntu? Im suspecting the 700mhz and 512mb ram is for lubuntu? I want to know what you need for the full ubuntu with unity.

This machine has 1GB ram (2 miss matched 512mb, but all I could find), 80GB hdd (I know thats fine), celeron 1.6GHz and an intel GMA 900 video card. Is this enough to run ubuntu 14.04?

Beans

OK, 12.04.4 installs, but fails as it boots. Normal mode, I see something about disabling IRQ 9, recovery mode I think gets to the same place (I can just see more) and stops after [7.067636] input: Sony Vaio Jogdial as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/device:13/SNY5001:00/input/input6

Edit: Fixed now, had to edit grub.

OK, ubuntu runs sooo fast in 12.04.4! Which makes me think that 13.10 and 14.04 have some kind of stability issue with some piece of hardware in my system! I expected to have to run Ubuntu in 2D, but its going fine in 3D. I would love to be able to get 14.04 running on it when it comes out, but this problem could be a very hard one to solve!
    Last edited by micwit2; April 2nd, 2014 at 08:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I don't use Ubuntu so I don't know in detail the difference between 12.04.4 and 14.04.

If you want people to help it's best to begin with a hardware description. Please run
    Code:
    sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
    and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast