Thread: Audio player with comprehensive Android app for remote control?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Audio player with comprehensive Android app for remote control?

Hi, it's been a while...

I'm building an HTPC and normally run Windows because I cannot bear to part with Foobar2000. Despite much research I never did find a decent Ubuntu equivalent, though that was two years ago now.

I'd like to run XBMC on Linux rather than Windows, chiefly because of its faster boot-up time, but this Foobar hurdle is confounding me. I loved my XBMC Windows set up even more when I discovered an Android app that remotely controls Foobar. It was a pretty comprehensive app and could handle playlist creation, which was one of my main reasons for wanting the app (the idea of having some friends over and taking it in turns to browse and add tracks to the currently playing playlist, for example). Few media jukeboxes appear to have Android app remote controls with playlist manipulation.

So...can anyone recommend a decent Linux audio player that had a decent Android app to operate it? I don't like XBMC's interface for music, so I'm happy to use XBMC for films/TV, and a.n.other app for music.

Interested in your thoughts.
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas

Beans

Re: Audio player with comprehensive Android app for remote control?

I have also seen (but not used) Android apps for Banshee and Clementine. I use Banshee (I find it to be more lightweight than Clementine) but have not tried the Android remote.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Google Play page for the Banshee remote:

I rarely have the time to contribute to this much more, so I am not sure how many updates and feature requests and I can provide **
    Doesn't fill me with much confidence, and neither does the page tell you what the app can and can't do.

I'd already checked out the page on Clementine, but in the list of features (which is quite extensive), it says "Playlist selection". I take that to mean one can only select an already existing playlist, not create a new one on the fly. I'd love to be corrected on this one as it's a possible contender.
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas

Beans

Why don't you try it and report back?

Beans

I am looking to install a high quality music player and have been reading up on squeezelite or MPD, I believe these both have good mobile apps but have not tried them yet

stu