Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 32bit is wonderful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu 12.04 32bit is wonderful!

Hello All,

I have been trying different distros to get good performance out of my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I most recently was using Crunchbang and was impressed with it but missed some of the conveniences of Ubuntu. I had originally been using Ubuntu 64bit but was disappointed with the amount of RAM being used and after coming back from Crunchbang decided to try the Ubuntu 32bit. I am truly impressed with the performance and RAM usage. It is actually less than Crunchbang with everything running that I need and that does not make sense to me at all since CB is meant to be more efficient.

I am thankful to be back with Ubuntu and just wanted to give everyone a positive update. I have also gotten 5 converts to Ubuntu over the last few weeks and feel satisfied with the results. It is definitely a distro of ease and convenience and I love it.
    Joe Johnston
    Ubuntu GNOME
    "All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." Steve Wozniak

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 32bit is wonderful!

Really. How many cup of coffees you have taken today? ^_^ Your welcome of it. Enjoy the desktop environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Interesting.

Been a long time since I installed anything on a machine with 2GB of RAM or less, I didn't realize that 64bit linux uses more ram. It's good to know!

That being said, RAM is dirt cheap these days, so I think the only way I'd go with that little RAM is if it were an older motherboard that was maxed out.
    Desktop: Intel Core i7-3930K@4.8Ghz, Asus P9X79 WS, 64GB DDR3-1866, 400GB Intel 750 SSD, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)
    Laptop: HP 9470m, Core i5-3427u, 8GB
    Proxmox (NAS, Mythbuntu, etc.): Dual Xeon L5640, 192GB RAM, 48TB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to Ubuntu linux and os chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have about 2GB RAM, I would go for Xubuntu instead. It has everything that Ubuntu has to offer but with a minimalistic interface using the XFCE desktop. It's Ubuntu without the bells and whistles.

I like Ubuntu but to be honest the OS is quite ressource hungry, less than Windows 7 perhaps but on older hardwares it doesn't work that well. Xubuntu and Lubuntu are the best in that case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    I like Ubuntu but to be honest the OS is quite ressource hungry...
    The most obvious difference between Unity and Xubuntu is that Unity runs Compiz, which here, on this 14.0 machine, comes in at 64.0 megs at the moment. Meanwhile, Firefox is 404 megs.

Different Linux distributions and interfaces do use different amounts of memory. But, so do apps, often much more than the OS they're running on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you all for the feedback and input.

Well, I actually have 4gigs RAM on this laptop but it is an older laptop and seems to run better with 32bit. I like saving RAM and I am now hovering around 650megs RAM with my apps open and with 64bit it was always 1gig+. Everything seems snappier to me so I am happy. If I ever get a newer laptop then I will switch to 64bit.
    Joe Johnston
    Ubuntu GNOME
    "All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." Steve Wozniak