Thread: New PC time

Beans

New PC time

Hello all.

So, after years and years of Mac ownership, I've made the decision to sell my existing machine, build a new one, and make Ubuntu my sole platform. I've been using it extensively for years anyway on other machines, but this is the first time I'm making my mission-critical machine Ubuntu-based!

It'll probably be an i5 or i7, not decided yet, and most likely with a Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 mobo. Will probably go with 8GB RAM, and I already have a 256GB SSD. I'll add a 1TB magnetic for all my stuff.

My dilemma is over whether to go with 12.0.4.4, and the two years of improvements and stability, or be a bit edgy and build with 14.04 - even its (current) beta stage. I keep seeing conflicting reports about performance when the two are compared. Additionally, there's lots of 3rd party support for 12.0.4 now, and I know of lots of things that just work nicely.

What would you do?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: New PC time

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

For your mission-critical machine I suggest that you use 12.0.4.4 LTS, and the two years of improvements and stability. I would wait at least until August and the first point release 14.04.1 LTS to backup the system and try upgrading to the new LTS version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

One thing to keep in mind is that the old systems do not die... My primary laptop used for work every day is still on 10.04. I have been meaning to upgrade for a while (and change the 80gig ssd to a 120 gig ssd while I am at it) but have simply not had the time. I am currently considering skipping to 14.04 right now as it will take a while to shake out my new image anyway.

In your case I would try 14.04, but if I ran into any issues that took more than 5 minutes to solve, chuck it and go back to 12.04.4 which has all the odd things known.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

14.04 may be a release candidate by the time your parts arrive, if you are going Z87 be sure that i5 or i7's model ends in a K
    i would not recommend 12.04 for a state of the art haswell based system
    no beastly GPU? if you want one i prefer nvidia for linux systems due to there long term driver support
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sith-manfromthezoo View Post
    It'll probably be an i5 or i7, not decided yet...
    If you have not decided yet then spend a little time considering an AMD CPU, I am running an 8 core FX-8350 here and it is very, very nice cpu that is still a lot cheaper than intel offerings.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

yea media work on a budget, go for a amd 8core but don't skimp on the motherboard, it takes juice to run those 8 cores at full power
    if you are gaming, go for intel+nvidia
    only reason i dont recommed AMD for a GPU is driver support is by far better from nvidia with linux, if you are going to get something with good opensource support from amd that is another story, like the HD 5000/6000 i believe is doing really good on recent kernels
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post