Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you file share between Ubuntu & Windows XP dual boot?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How do you file share between Ubuntu & Windows XP dual boot?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I still don't get it. If you are using xp only for one application why do you need any file access, let alone bidirectional file acess? GigabyteProduction'sn solution is not simple at all. I don't know of any way to change /home's setup and convert your already installed Ubuntu to ext3 without reinstalling. I think to go through so much troubles to accomodate xp for one application is letting the tail wag the dog.

P.s. Just beware that your xp installation is doubly insecure. Not only is xp not getting security update, you are also running an out of date java which is even a bigger security risk. As I said that partition should be kept isolated as much as possible.
    I don't see what's wrong with my setup, you aren't required to reinstall to access /home whether it's a symbolic link or not, ubuntu actually gives you the option at install time to make the folder a mountpoint of another partititon, as long as the folder isn't being used, you can just move it and create a link to where you moved it to replace it. You're not converting home to ext3, either, a file is a file. That's why i made the instructions say to do this from a live-boot, so 1) the home folder isn't in use and 2) so the asker can resize anything that needs to be resized

His linux partition also is isolated, ext2fsd doesn't mount ext4, so that's already inaccessable. All that can be accessed are the files he wants accessable. Even if there were some virus that got onto windows and was designed to expect a linux home directory somewhere and somehow put a script on it to attack linux, what's that script going to do withot root permissions? Linux has a very good defense against virusses. So it's near impossible for an attack to succeed, let alone getting an attack from a windows virus in the first place. It's not any safer than moving things back and forth with a flash drive, which isn't that unsafe when dealing with an os like linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GigabyteProduction View Post
    His linux partition also is isolated, ext2fsd doesn't mount ext4, so that's already inaccessable. All that can be accessed are the files he wants accessable. Even if there were some virus that got onto windows and was designed to expect a linux home directory somewhere and somehow put a script on it to attack linux, what's that script going to do withot root permissions? Linux has a very good defense against virusses. So it's near impossible for an attack to succeed, let alone getting an attack from a windows virus in the first place. It's not any safer than moving things back and forth with a flash drive, which isn't that unsafe when dealing with an os like linux.
    If access becomes too automatic there will be temptation to send files to others. I don't usually recommend av on linux but in this instance op may consider installing one. So the point is, for just one application that needs unmaintained java you have to go through all this length to integrate the two oses. I fail to see the wisdom in it. OP can use his xp as an isolated box and when needed dumps a file into the xp partition and that is it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If access becomes too automatic there will be temptation to send files to others.
    What do you mean by this?

I don't usually recommend av on linux but in this instance op may consider installing one.
    what is an av?

So the point is, for just one application that needs unmaintained java you have to go through all this length to integrate the two oses. I fail to see the wisdom in it. OP can use his xp as an isolated box and when needed dumps a file into the xp partition and that is it.
    Where in
    Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post
    I am presently dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It is working well. But I would like to be able to access some files that are on one "side" (Windows or Ubuntu) of the PC with the other "side." I'd especially like to be able to create or download a file in Ubuntu and be able to use it in Windows. I am presently transferring such files from Ubuntu to Windows using a thumbdrive. But this is pretty inconvenient.

I've been trying to read posts in this forum and online, but it is not clear to me what a good and reasonable course of action would be. It seems that some posts suggest making a shared NTFS partition that is read only for one operating system. Another solution is in this post ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=469666 ) that suggests downloading and installing an application into each OS. These applications apparently allow one operating system to see the other.

QUESTION(S): Does anybody have good advice about how to file share between Ubuntu and Windows XP?

I've attached a screenshot from my disk utility that shows the status of the hard drive.

Thank you,

R.
    does it say that all they needs it for is unmaintained java? They said they want to access files that may be on the other side, well now they can access any file they want aside from linux O.S. files.

Beans

An av is an antivirus.

Op has posted numerous threads on the topic. To make a long story short he needs to run one software for desktop sharing. It doesn't really require Windows xp because e.g centos would work and a dual boot with centos is much easier to set up (or just install it in a flash drive). But it turns out he also needs an old version of java which for good reason is no longer available in centos, so back to xp (and he doesn't have the specs to run vm)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 30th, 2014 at 12:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Adding my 2 cents FWIW.

Ext2fsd installed to Windows can read from and write to Ext4 partitions.

A separate NTFS-formatted partition is better if HDD space allows.

If the Windows partition is put into hibernation and files are then copied to the partition Windows will not know about them the next time it is restarted and they will not show in Windows Explorer (not exist). The technical explanation is while the Windows partition is in hibernation the MFT is locked and therefore not updated when files are written. When Windows is cleanly shutdown and files copied the MFT is updated and Windows will sometimes force a chkdsk on the partition if there is a large enough difference in the before and after states.

When using Linux to work within a Windows partition you can see all of the files and if you so wish, you could delete any and all files.

So be aware at all times of what you are doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I still don't get it. If you are using xp only for one application why do you need any file access, let alone bidirectional file acess? GigabyteProduction'sn solution is not simple at all. I don't know of any way to change /home's setup and convert your already installed Ubuntu to ext3 without reinstalling. I think to go through so much troubles to accomodate xp for one application is letting the tail wag the dog.

P.s. Just beware that your xp installation is doubly insecure. Not only is xp not getting security update, you are also running an out of date java which is even a bigger security risk. As I said that partition should be kept isolated as much as possible.
    Again, I appreciate everybody's comments. BTW For Windows XP I am running the latest version of JAVA; Webex/Large Govt Organization (LGO) support this combination. For Linux it is the old archived version of JAVA (1.6) with older Linux versions (e.g. Ubuntu 10 &11) or Redhat 5 & 6 that Webex/LGO supports. I tried CentOS 6.5 with JAVA 1.7 and it seemed to work at first, but it did not work in the end with the most realistic simulation.

Again, running chkdsk /f on my USB drives in Windows is another reason to keep Windows XP. I've read that chkdsk f/ in Linux is not as good as chkdsk f/ in Windows.

Thanks,

R.

Beans

Again, I appreciate everybody's comments. BTW For Windows XP I am running the latest version of JAVA; Webex/Large Govt Organization (LGO) support this combination. For Linux it is the old archived version of JAVA (1.6) with older Linux versions (e.g. Ubuntu 10 &11) or Redhat 5 & 6 that Webex/LGO supports. I tried CentOS 6.5 with JAVA 1.7 and it seemed to work at first, but it did not work in the end with the most realistic simulation.
    You may want to take a look at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=829817 and http://www.emsperformance.net/2013/0...edora-core-18/

Apparently JAVA 1.7 would work on Redhat therefore Centos if you install the package pangox-compat
    Alternatively you can get the developmental verson of webex

Again, running chkdsk /f on my USB drives in Windows is another reason to keep Windows XP. I've read that chkdsk f/ in Linux is not as good as chkdsk f/ in Windows.
    In Linux you run fsck, why is it 'not as good'?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Apparently JAVA 1.7 would work on Redhat therefore Centos if you install the package pangox-compat Alternatively you can get the developmental verson of webex.

In Linux you run fsck, why is it 'not as good'?
    Thanks for your replies Monkeybrain,

Regarding JAVA 1.7 working with Redhat, I think that is incorrect. I think only JAVA 1.6 with Redhat 5 & 6 is officially supported by WebEx, even though JAVA 1.6 is old.

See https://uspto.webex.com/docs/T28L/mc....htm#OSSUpport and see https://uspto.webex.com/docs/T28L/mc.../xplatform.htm . Regarding my getting a development version of WebEx, this will not work, as the WebEx version that is relevant is the version that is being used by WebEx & the LGO to host the meeting. The crossplatform features and issues of the version used by WebEx & the LGO are described at the links above.

Regarding the superiority of Windows chkdsk, see this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=chkdsk which seems to be by knowledgeable posters.

The actual error message in Ubuntu reads: "Unable to mount FreeAgent Drive:
    Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0). Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details."

Thanks,

R.

Beans

Thanks for your replies Monkeybrain,

Regarding JAVA 1.7 working with Redhat, I think that is incorrect. I think only JAVA 1.6 with Redhat 5 & 6 is officially supported by WebEx, even though JAVA 1.6 is old.

See https://uspto.webex.com/docs/T28L/mc....htm#OSSUpport and see https://uspto.webex.com/docs/T28L/mc.../xplatform.htm . Regarding my getting a development version of WebEx, this will not work, as the WebEx version that is relevant is the version that is being used by WebEx & the LGO to host the meeting. The crossplatform features and issues of the version used by WebEx & the LGO are described at the links above.
    Did you read the redhat bug report? They say it is a bug and 1.7 will work with the extra package, also webEx developers are informed about it. As I said earlier, not supported doesn't mean it won't work, just that they don't guarantee that it will. XP will not be supported and you still plan to use it.

Code:
    Regarding the superiority of Windows chkdsk, see this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=chkdsk which seems to be by knowledgeable posters.

Well that person said chkdsk is superior is for ntfs and ntfs is a Microsoft file system. If you don't use Windows there is no reason to use ntfs in the first place. so chkdsk is superior for ntfsis not a reason to use xp.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 30th, 2014 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Did you read the redhat bug report? They say it is a bug and 1.7 will work with the extra package, also webEx developers are informed about it. As I said earlier, not supported doesn't mean it won't work, just that they don't guarantee that it will. XP will not be supported and you still plan to use it.

Code:

Well that person said chkdsk is superior is for ntfs and ntfs is a Microsoft file system. If you don't use Windows there is no reason to use ntfs in the first place. so chkdsk is superior for ntfsis not a reason to use xp.
    Monkeybrain,

I appreciate your replies.

Regarding Windows & NTFS

QUESTION: Do you think I could easily reformat my USB drives (4GB thumbdrive & 160GB external drive) to a file system other than NTFS without corrupting the files?

Regarding trying to get the Webex/LGO working desktop sharing with Linux operating systems, I've spent hours and hours trying. WebEx tech support is only so helpful. They do not encourage various permutations of solutions, like using Centos 6.5, downloading archived JAVA plug-ins, etc. and I only have so much time as well. Though Microsoft will no longer be supporting Windows XP soon, that does not mean that Winodws XP & the latest JAVA plugin will not work with Webex/LGO into the near future.

Thanks,

R.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast