Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craziest upgrade fail I have seen. Please help, unfixable system!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Craziest upgrade fail I have seen. Please help, unfixable system!

since the main display never gets a bios splash screen i am sure this wont work but have you checked your monitor settings to see if 2 screens show up in your configuration options?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

... or run xrandr to see if it detects the internal screen. It also might be worth doing a harder reset (power the machine down and remove+reinsert the battery).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not have a laptop so I am more than likely talking rubbish, but ... this being a laptop is there some physical switch or control over the laptop screen? A key combination that switches off the laptop screen and directs signal output to an external monitor? Or adjusts screen brightness? What happens when the user closes the laptop lid? Does the screen stay lit? Or is there a micro switch that physically switches off power to the screen. It would be part of the hinge mechanism of the lid. I may not know much about laptops but I do have some experience with micro switches. They do get stuck.

Oh, another thing. When the system was 13.10 did System Settings>Brightness and Lock work as it should or did you need to install some additional software, perhaps through a PPA to get an effective control of brightness? The Upgrade would not have upgraded any PPA software and in fact might have zeroed any software brightness settings.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 29th, 2014 at 02:50 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoNero View Post

how do I do that?
    Hold a shift key down during the boot process. This should bring up the Grub menu. You'll see an option to edit it. That's where you can add the "nomodeset" parameter to the kernel boot string.

I'm unclear, but if the BIOS screen is visible via the HDMI, resetting the BIOS to its default state might be worth a try.

Since you can see HDMI output, it appears the video hardware is working. I suppose -- but don't see how -- something might have disabled the VGA output. Or, you've found a juicy 14.04 bug.

If it's a an actual video card in the machine, is it accessible? I once spent a very long day dealing with a similar issue on a tower machine, only to find out that the video card had become unseated just enough to cut the connection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

go to the bios settings and check if under boot display device , thinkpad lcd is selected or not. sometimes in rare cases, the external display can be set as default. if that doesnt help, looks like your lcd failed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wgarcia View Post
    Then the hardware failure maybe in the screen, right? It's always black since this system starts? Again, the Ubuntu installation doesn't seem to be responsible of that if the screen never gets to show anything once it gets powered.
    probably in either graphics adapter or screen or both... it seems like the upgrade triggered it. even though it might not be primarily responsible. i let the laptop sit for a day, and i just booted and it worked, aside from someflickering..... extremely weird situation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    since the main display never gets a bios splash screen i am sure this wont work but have you checked your monitor settings to see if 2 screens show up in your configuration options?
    yes both show up, just the primary is blank (but has light).

I am now up and running again. indicates that there is something wrong with the hardware, probably loose contacts due to overheating etc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    ... or run xrandr to see if it detects the internal screen. It also might be worth doing a harder reset (power the machine down and remove+reinsert the battery).
    there is no way to remove the battery on an x1 carbon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I do not have a laptop so I am more than likely talking rubbish, but ... this being a laptop is there some physical switch or control over the laptop screen? A key combination that switches off the laptop screen and directs signal output to an external monitor? Or adjusts screen brightness? What happens when the user closes the laptop lid? Does the screen stay lit? Or is there a micro switch that physically switches off power to the screen. It would be part of the hinge mechanism of the lid. I may not know much about laptops but I do have some experience with micro switches. They do get stuck.

Oh, another thing. When the system was 13.10 did System Settings>Brightness and Lock work as it should or did you need to install some additional software, perhaps through a PPA to get an effective control of brightness? The Upgrade would not have upgraded any PPA software and in fact might have zeroed any software brightness settings.

Regards.
    hi. interesting thoughts. however, everything worked as expected before, no modification necessary. the screen seems to work, it just didnt get any signal... i also suspect a physical damage where the signal from the graphics adapter doesnt get transmitted... maybe a damage from overheating or something

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I almost merged this with a thread that had a similar title , but seeing as this problem is nothing similar to that thread, I changed the title back to it's original, because the new title didn't explain what the problem was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast