Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craziest upgrade fail I have seen. Please help, unfixable system!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Craziest upgrade fail I have seen. Please help, unfixable system!

Hi folks.
    Been using Ubuntu for years, consider myself kind of an advanced user, and I assure you I have spent the better half of the day trying things and googling around.

Here's what happened:
    Upgraded my 64bit 13.10 to 14.04 this afternoon (upgrade, not a fresh install) on a Lenovo X1 Carbon which had previously worked flawlessly out of the box.

The first restart upon finished installation/upgrade rendered my machine unusable:
    - I see no bios/lenovo screen upon powering on the machine
    - screen stays blank (HD activity, screen is lit)

What I can do:
    - plug a HDMI cord into the machine and use the laptop from my TV. Laptop screen stays blank

What I can't do (and here is where it gets weird):
    - I cannot boot a live USB installation. Either because it just doesn't work, or it works but I don't see anything (because of the blank screen). At any rate, even if it works (which I cannot tell), in that option the 2nd screen isn't on.

HOW can I reset/reinstall my complete OS if I cant do a from-USB-installation? Is there a way (scripts, terminal commands etc) to reset all the boot parameters, grub, graphics drivers etc...?

How would I roll back to 13.10? So I am basically running a current daily 14.04

Help is much much apprciated. I am totally frustrated, I have no backup laptop to take to work with

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Craziest upgrade fail I have seen. Please help, unfixable system!

if you can't get to the bios either your monitor came unplugged or your motherboard took a crap
    you could plug the hdd into another system and see if it will boot and/or reinstall 13.10 to that drive
    if you cant see the bios i would guess either the screen or the motherboard is dead
    can you use the system with a hdmi cable?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a personal rule: Never trash a working system. If you want to try new and shiny, try a Live USB boot or install on a new or 2nd partition.

Look at your grub configuration file to see what kernel boot switches were used on the previous installation. Perhaps a simple nomodeset is needed.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoNero View Post
    Hi folks.
    Been using Ubuntu for years, consider myself kind of an advanced user, and I assure you I have spent the better half of the day trying things and googling around.

Here's what happened:
    Upgraded my 64bit 13.10 to 14.04 this afternoon (upgrade, not a fresh install) on a Lenovo X1 Carbon which had previously worked flawlessly out of the box.

The first restart upon finished installation/upgrade rendered my machine unusable:
    - I see no bios/lenovo screen upon powering on the machine
    - screen stays blank (HD activity, screen is lit)

What I can do:
    - plug a HDMI cord into the machine and use the laptop from my TV. Laptop screen stays blank

What I can't do (and here is where it gets weird):
    - I cannot boot a live USB installation. Either because it just doesn't work, or it works but I don't see anything (because of the blank screen). At any rate, even if it works (which I cannot tell), in that option the 2nd screen isn't on.

HOW can I reset/reinstall my complete OS if I cant do a from-USB-installation? Is there a way (scripts, terminal commands etc) to reset all the boot parameters, grub, graphics drivers etc...?

How would I roll back to 13.10? So I am basically running a current daily 14.04

Help is much much apprciated. I am totally frustrated, I have no backup laptop to take to work with

You could try the Plop boot loader from your CD rom or any other bootable CD and see what happens. Plop will give you Boot from USB option. That may work.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running 15.10 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The fact that you can't see even the initial screen of the machine being started suggests that there may be something wrong before your Ubuntu installation has even the chance of starting. Can you hear any activity in the hard disk, or anything else suggesting that the machine is trying to boot?
    Catalan Team: Tingueu presents les normes d'or dels fòrums d'Ubuntu: poseu un títol entenedor i apropiat als vostres fils; digueu quina versió i variant d'Ubuntu feu servir i a quina màquina; i què heu provat abans de demanar ajut.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    if you can't get to the bios either your monitor came unplugged or your motherboard took a crap
    you could plug the hdd into another system and see if it will boot and/or reinstall 13.10 to that drive
    if you cant see the bios i would guess either the screen or the motherboard is dead
    can you use the system with a hdmi cable?
    The system works fine, but I only see it on the external screen connected via hdmi.

I cannot take the hard drive out, it's an x1 carbon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I have a personal rule: Never trash a working system. If you want to try new and shiny, try a Live USB boot or install on a new or 2nd partition.
    well I have a backup of everything, but all this doesn't help me now

Look at your grub configuration file to see what kernel boot switches were used on the previous installation. Perhaps a simple nomodeset is needed.
    how do I do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    You could try the Plop boot loader from your CD rom or any other bootable CD and see what happens. Plop will give you Boot from USB option. That may work.
    I don't have a CD room

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wgarcia View Post
    The fact that you can't see even the initial screen of the machine being started suggests that there may be something wrong before your Ubuntu installation has even the chance of starting. Can you hear any activity in the hard disk, or anything else suggesting that the machine is trying to boot?
    As I said in the initial post, the system works fine, I just need to plug in the external screen via HDMI to actually see it. There is of course HD acitivty, however this being and SSD powered machine there is obviously no sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Then the hardware failure maybe in the screen, right? It's always black since this system starts? Again, the Ubuntu installation doesn't seem to be responsible of that if the screen never gets to show anything once it gets powered.
    Catalan Team: Tingueu presents les normes d'or dels fòrums d'Ubuntu: poseu un títol entenedor i apropiat als vostres fils; digueu quina versió i variant d'Ubuntu feu servir i a quina màquina; i què heu provat abans de demanar ajut.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast