Thread: Memory leak in Compiz & Unity-Scope-Home

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Memory leak in Compiz & Unity-Scope-Home

Been testing 14.04 now for about 6 weeks, & the issue of High memory, particularly in Compiz still remains.
    I have attached a screenshot of my system monitor.
    In 12.04 memory used by compiz was between 40-100mb.
    Is anyone else having the same problem?
    Screenshot from 2014-03-28 07:47:43.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Memory leak in Compiz & Unity-Scope-Home

I had problems in 13.10 with clementine scope triggering memory leak but no more in Trusty.

Check that python3 process which is one of scopes and then when you now which one is it disable it from Application lens > Filter results > Dash plugins.

Beans

Don't see anything near that here, particulary the home scope which is usually around 10Mb
    At log in compiz is around 40Mb, basic use of the Dash, ect. may up to 80 - 90 over time & use.

There is one thing that does do a large increase but it's a one time increase - that's the applications lens > Installed > see xx more results
    Using that causes an immediate 100Mb+ increase but repeated use doesn't increase usage (100+ does seem a lot to display 100 icons or so...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for your replies guys.
    Mateusz.. I think you may have hit on the issue, as you can see from my 2 screenshots now.
    The 1st one is after a normal logging & opening the dash - Memory is mega high.
    The 2nd screenshot is after I uninstalled "unity-scope-clementine", memory now more or less normal.
    Will post back if things change.
    Thanks again.Screenshot from 2014-03-28 17:39:22.jpgScreenshot from 2014-03-28 17:40:51.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just to add a bit more info to this post. Uninstalling unity-scope-clementine helped massively, but even so, Compiz still crept up from 40mb to about 250mb.
    So I reset unity/compiz back to factory settings, as I had tweaked it & enabled wobbly windows. This seems to have resolved the problem. 3 hours uptime & compiz is using only 79mb. So it seems unity needs leaving alone after installation to stop this happening.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have the same problem, I' on Ubuntu 14.04 with an nVidia Optimus video card. In home, on my Dell Vostro 3450 I don't have any issue.
    I'm using the nVidia propietary driver, how is your setup?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

IF you have an issue with 14.04 and compiz you need to start a thread - I would suggest here http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=329

We're not working with 14.04 anymore - 14.10 is the topic in here now.

Closing this old discussion.