Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable installed system that boots in UEFI as well as in BIOS mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Portable installed system that boots in UEFI as well as in BIOS mode

Ok... clear to me now. My only problem is that I am trying to conserve bandwidth until my next billing cycle. I am near or over my limit atm. Sorry .. but that is politics in Canada... one moment .. I will check status..

I'll download from alternate source, time permitting.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; April 14th, 2015 at 06:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well it is big, because there are two systems, one live and one installed. Another version might be specialized and contain only the boot part of the live system, so it would be smaller (around 1 GB instead of 1.8 GB). I hope you can download this one without a penalty fee from your ISP

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Well it is big, because there are two systems, one live and one installed. Another version might be specialized and contain only the boot part of the live system, so it would be smaller (around 1 GB instead of 1.8 GB). I hope you can download this one without a penalty fee from your ISP
    I am always over my limit as it is

Here goes dl now

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

I used mkusb to install the compressed image file.

How do I boot into usb-installed partition 5?

It just automatically booted into .iso with 'Try Ubuntu' and "Install Ubutnu' options.

Regards..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you booted in BIOS mode. If you check carefully, you will see an option (a line in the menu) to boot into the installed system. I added that line to the syslinux boot menu.

In a similar way, there is an option to boot into the installed system in the UEFI grub menu, that belongs to the boot system of the iso file.

Edit: Maybe I should make those lines easier to find, for example with stars.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 15th, 2015 at 06:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I think you booted in BIOS mode. If you check carefully, you will see an option (a line in the menu) to boot into the installed system. I added that line to the syslinux boot menu.

In a similar way, there is an option to boot into the installed system in the UEFI grub menu, that belongs to the boot system of the iso file.

Ahhh... ok.... I'll have a look at that then.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

When booting in BIOS mode it will go right to the purple boot screen. There are no other options unless you hit another key to be able to choose alternate install menu. In UEFI mode there are all the options in Grub. It works very well with perisistive drive.

*note* You have left the default server for Sweden and so the first update fails. It has to be changed to United States or Main Server.

Nice work , well done.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm glad you managed to run it in UEFI mode.

- What about BIOS mode and the syslinux menu (with Try Ubuntu, Install Ubuntu etc)? Did you manage to boot also the installed system that way? It works for me, so it should work, unless there is some portability issue.

I'll try to remember the issue with the default server in future versions. I can update from the US server. Funny that you could not update from the Swedish server. Maybe you hit a bad time slot, when that server was upgrading itself or some other temporary problem.

- What would you prefer for a portable system in a USB pendrive?

- A persistent live system or an installed system (or a combination with both)?

- This pendrive system contains standard Ubuntu. Would it be better with a lighter desktop environment, for example Lubuntu or Xubuntu to compensate for the slow data transfer rate of USB and the flash memory in pendrives.

Beans
    Distro

I have had great success installing ubuntu to USB flash drives which work almost as fast as an hdd. The trick I use is to remove any hdd that is currently installed in the system. Then, I just install whatever flavor to the USB as the ubuntu iso recognizes a 16GB USB stick as a target harddrive. Lubuntu has been fastest. This method is far superior to creating a persistive usb_drive and I still have installs of Lucid Linux on 8 and 16 GB USB flash disks respectively. I understand that a lot of experimenters do not agree with my method and they will suggest leaving the hdd in while install to a usb flash_disk. However .. the method I discovered works just fine for me.

I have not tried this method in UEFI mode as of yet.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

I'm glad you managed to run it in UEFI mode.

- What about BIOS mode and the syslinux menu (with Try Ubuntu, Install Ubuntu etc)? Did you manage to boot also the installed system that way? It works for me, so it should work, unless there is some portability issue.
    I do not get a menu in BIOS mode on my latest motherboard .. however I should try it on another machine. Currently it goes right to purple screen with 'man in circle logo' at bottom and then I am given options to 'try ubuntu' , 'install ubuntu'.

Regards..

*edit*

ok.. I see PBR listing ... works just fine .. I did not see it the first time.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; April 16th, 2015 at 11:06 PM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast