Thread: Portable installed system that boots in UEFI as well as in BIOS mode

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!

Portable installed system that boots in UEFI as well as in BIOS mode

Edit: Stable portable systems

If you want a stable portable system, that boots in UEFI mode as well as BIOS/CSM mode, and in 64-bit as well as 32-bit computers, you can try

One pendrive for all PC (Intel/AMD) computers.

If you want a pendrive with a live and an installed system, that works in UEFI and BIOS mode, you can try

A new and so far successful attempt to create a stable portable system, that works in UEFI and BIOS mode and

Compressed image file with a live Ubuntu 14.04.2 and an installed Ubuntu 15.10

I have developed a system from Ubuntu Xenial amd64 (I call it gamma because it is beyond beta), and I was able to simplify the method to make a stable installed system for UEFI and BIOS mode. See this link

Another new, simpler and so far successful attempt to create a stable portable system, that works in UEFI and BIOS mode

with a description how to make it 'from scratch' plus a link to where I have uploaded compressed image files plus a small script to fix the GPT after cloning.

Two updated 'text-mini' compressed image files are uploaded 2016-05-27

There is a torrent file that you can use to build your own custom operating system

The dd_text_16.04-UEFI-n-BIOS compressed image file was made up to date, and a torrent file was uploaded in January 2017. It can be used, if you want to start with a light-weight system and install your own selection of program packages - desktop packages, server packages and application packages.

dd_text_16.04-UEFI-n-BIOS_2017-01-15_intel-4-pendrive-7.8GB.img.xz.torrent

Use mkusb to install from the downloaded compressed image file to a USB pendrive, a memory card, or maybe an external SSD or HDD.

See details at this link: Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS/torrent

Detailed description of the original installed system

I wanted an installed system as a good alternative to a persistent live system that boots new computers with and without UEFI. So I made one, which is described in this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In.../UEFI-and-BIOS

But I have tested it in only two computers, my Toshiba laptop, where I made it, and in my son's HP Elitebook laptop, so I don't know how portable it is.

The method is described in detail, and there is a compressed image of an Ubuntu 12.04.4 system available at

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/uefi-n-bios

I think the method is at least as important to test as the compressed image, if and how it works in other computers.

So now, that we have finished testing beta 2, maybe there is time for you to try the method and make an UEFI-and-BIOS pendrive with your favourite flavour of Ubuntu Trusty beta 2.

Not stable enough to survive certain updates

I expected that this 'Portable installed system that boots in UEFI as well as in BIOS mode' could be installed into a USB pendrive as a good alternative to a persistent live system, possible to update and upgrade without limits. But unfortunately a current update involving a new kernel and updating grub will make it fail to boot. So this system is not stable enough to survive certain updates. It is good only as an illustration of a method to make a bootable drive in UEFI as well as BIOS mode.

Links

It might be a good idea to try various systems and methods before deciding what to install. Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it

The following links contain general information
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace
    Last edited by sudodus; January 15th, 2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Another new, simpler portable system, for UEFI and BIOS mode