Good evening!

Just want to start out by saying i'm very new to linux, and have learned everything I know over the past ~3 weeks thanks to google and numerous forums. That being said, I am stuck and at I point where I have to reach out for some guidance. I am successfully running linux elementary which is based off of Ubuntu as I understand it (I apologize if this is the wrong spot to post). I can use the main drive without any issues and got everything I wanted to done aside from installing flash but thats a separate issue that is equally as frusturating.

I am trying to access a thumb drive via USB and a SD card via a built in port on my laptop. Initially I couldn't see them at all listed under devices, so I formatted them in windows as fat32 and now they are visible. Problem is when I try to make a folder or copy a file to them I get an error message saying "There was an error creating the directory in /media/usb1. Error creating directory: Permission denied" If I click on the drive and click properties the info shows "owner=root, group=root, permissions drwxr-xr-x 755" for both drives.

What do I need to do to get access to these drives? I am the only use on the computer and am set as administrator. There aren't any files I need on these devices yet so if I need to reformat them in Linux I am open to that but didn't see a way to do that either.

Thanks in advance for the assistance, I greatly appreciate it! If you need any more information please let me know and I will answer as best I can