Thread: Error when using make "client.c:108:5: error: too many arguments to function"

Beans

Exclamation Error when using make "client.c:108:5: error: too many arguments to function"

When i try to use make a get errors:

make all-recursive
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sander/Downloads/volnoti'
    Making all in src
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sander/Downloads/volnoti/src'
    depbase=`echo client.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -pthread -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -DPREFIX="\"/usr/share/pixmaps/volnoti/\"" -g -O2 -MT client.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o client.o client.c &&\
    mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
    client.c: In function ‘main’:
    client.c:108:5: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘uk_ac_cam_db538_VolumeNotification_notify’ makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
    value-client-stub.h:29:1: note: expected ‘struct GError **’ but argument is of type ‘int’
    client.c:108:5: error: too many arguments to function ‘uk_ac_cam_db538_VolumeNotification_notify’
    value-client-stub.h:29:1: note: declared here
    make[2]: *** [client.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sander/Downloads/volnoti/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sander/Downloads/volnoti'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

And this is what is in the dir (If it at all matters):

aclocal.m4 ChangeLog compile config.h.in~ configure depcomp Makefile missing pkg README.md stamp-h1
    AUTHORS CMakeCache.txt config.h config.log configure.ac INSTALL Makefile.am NEWS prepare.sh res
    autom4te.cache CMakeFiles config.h.in config.status COPYING install-sh Makefile.in package.sh README src
    Last edited by r530er; April 5th, 2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Additional info maybe needed

Beans

Re: Error when using make "client.c:108:5: error: too many arguments to function"

here is a --debug version:

Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
    There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    Reading makefiles...
    Updating goal targets....
    File `all' does not exist.
    File `all-am' does not exist.
    File `volnoti-show' does not exist.
    File `client.o' does not exist.
    Must remake target `client.o'.
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sander/Downloads/volnoti/src'
    depbase=`echo client.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -pthread -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -DPREFIX="\"/usr/share/pixmaps/volnoti/\"" -g -O2 -MT client.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o client.o client.c &&\
    mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
    client.c: In function ‘main’:
    client.c:108:5: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘uk_ac_cam_db538_VolumeNotification_notify’ makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
    value-client-stub.h:29:1: note: expected ‘struct GError **’ but argument is of type ‘int’
    client.c:108:5: error: too many arguments to function ‘uk_ac_cam_db538_VolumeNotification_notify’
    value-client-stub.h:29:1: note: declared here
    make[2]: *** [client.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sander/Downloads/volnoti/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sander/Downloads/volnoti'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Error when using make "client.c:108:5: error: too many arguments to function"

Nothing to do with make. There is a problem with the code you are compiling:
    Code:

You get this error like this because the function usage in the code doesn't match the function declaration. If you are recompiling someone else's code, it's likely because the code includes header files from some library and you and the author are using different (and incompatible) versions. So right now you have to find where uk_ac_cam_db538_VolumeNotification_notify is declared and why it is declared that way (wrong version, missing conditional includes (any compile configuration script to run?)
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans

Umm, yeah, this is my "First cup of Ubuntu" so I am not able to understand that, sorry. Could you please explain like I'm 5. Tho I'm guessing that I need to update header-somethings (I don't know what they are ) Thanks for the quick reply btw.

Beans

OK so I pulled the git repo and had a play with this for you

It looks like the problem is within the source distribution itself - the supplied src/client.c file is not compatible with the supplied src/value-client-stub.h

I *think* that's slipped through because the author is intending for the value-client-stub.h (and value-daemon-stub.h) to be regenerated on the local system, however despite having build targets for them, they don't seem to get recreated without manual intervention. That *may* be because the timestamps get messed up by the git clone.

Here's what seemed to work for me - basically cd to the volnoti/src subdirectory and remove and re-make those two header files:

Code:
    /src/volnoti$ cd src
    /src/volnoti/src$ 
    /src/volnoti/src$ rm value-client-stub.h && make value-client-stub.h
    dbus-binding-tool --prefix=volume_object --mode=glib-client \
          specs.xml > value-client-stub.h
    /src/volnoti/src$ rm value-daemon-stub.h && make value-daemon-stub.h
    dbus-binding-tool --prefix=volume_object --mode=glib-server \
          specs.xml > value-daemon-stub.h
    /src/volnoti/src$
    Hope this helps

Beans

Yes it did! Thanks alot! DD