Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions about processors

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Need opinions about processors

This is for a desktop PC used for gaming. If you had your choice, would you buy a high end i5 or a low to mid grade i7, both in the latest generation? And what are your reasons.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Need opinions about processors

I think for serious gaming the graphics card is probably of much greater importance than any difference between those mentioned CPUs, in fact I have read that an i3 will do perfectly well for gaming as long as the grahic card is capable enough to run the high end graphics many games need.

However, bear in mind that I am not a gamer at all, except for an occasional play with foobillard and similar.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If i were going to Overclock the cpu i would go with a i5-3570k and a GTX 750 TI or better on the gpu
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, the only real difference between a high end i5 and a high end i7 is hyperthreading. (and the top end i7's have marginally higher clocks) so if you are comparing a high end i5 to a low end i7, I'd go with the high end i5.

While games are better at multithreading today than they were in the past, going with more than 4 cores is really of marginal value, especially when those additional cores are "fake" cores like with hyperthreading.

As has been mentioned before, safe yourself the money on the CPU and get an i5. I'd recommend a 4670 (or 4670K if you intend to overclock) and instead spend more money on the video card. More than likely that is going to be the bottleneck.

All that being said, this forum is awesome and all, but for these types of questions I highly recommend visiting a hardware enthusiast and gaming forum. HardOCP and the related HardForums are my favorite in this genre.
    Desktop: Intel Core i7-3930K@4.8Ghz, Asus P9X79 WS, 64GB DDR3-1866, 400GB Intel 750 SSD, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)
    Laptop: HP 9470m, Core i5-3427u, 8GB
    Proxmox (NAS, Mythbuntu, etc.): Dual Xeon L5640, 192GB RAM, 48TB

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    This is for a desktop PC used for gaming. If you had your choice, would you buy a high end i5 or a low to mid grade i7, both in the latest generation? And what are your reasons.
    AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W 6-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX

It is about $120 right now, and NewEgg has a promo code for it on sale $10 off with free shipping until 3/31. I never went back after I went AMD. Intel is overpriced IMO. I love that AMD owns both CPUs and GPUs now. Best combo.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    Yeah, the only real difference between a high end i5 and a high end i7 is hyperthreading. (and the top end i7's have marginally higher clocks) so if you are comparing a high end i5 to a low end i7, I'd go with the high end i5.

While games are better at multithreading today than they were in the past, going with more than 4 cores is really of marginal value, especially when those additional cores are "fake" cores like with hyperthreading.

As has been mentioned before, safe yourself the money on the CPU and get an i5. I'd recommend a 4670 (or 4670K if you intend to overclock) and instead spend more money on the video card. More than likely that is going to be the bottleneck.

All that being said, this forum is awesome and all, but for these types of questions I highly recommend visiting a hardware enthusiast and gaming forum. HardOCP and the related HardForums are my favorite in this genre.
    Wow. The responses so far are a lot different than I expected. I'm definitely planning on spending a lot on a video card. I'm looking at the nvidia GTX 780 or radeon r9 290. So you feel that the hyperthreading isn't worth the money, and that a high end i5 is going to be better than a low end i7? I do want to build for the future, and not just for what flies right now.

And thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out. And also, the i5 4670(k) is what I was looking at for the i5 vs. the i7 4770.

Quote Originally Posted by dbass81 View Post
    AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W 6-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX

It is about $120 right now, and NewEgg has a promo code for it on sale $10 off with free shipping until 3/31. I never went back after I went AMD. Intel is overpriced IMO. I love that AMD owns both CPUs and GPUs now. Best combo.
    Without regard for Linux compatibility, do you think high end Radeon cards are better than high end nvidia cards?
    Last edited by forrestcupp; March 25th, 2014 at 09:22 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dbass81 View Post

As a fan of AMD it pains me to say this, but I am going to have to disagree here.

AMD has fallen so far behind in the CPU game, that even their top end CPU's can no longer keep up with Intel's entry level core i3's.

There is a reason they are so much cheaper.

Now, granted, most games wind up being video card bound WAY before they are CPU bound, but that isn't the case for all of them (Starcraft II and Red Orchestra II being two notable examples, but there are many many more.)

If you go the AMD route MOST games will work just fine, but many will slow down and not perform as you'd like. If you go with a Core i5 Intel based CPU, all of them will run fine.

Without regard for Linux compatibility, do you think high end Radeon cards are better than high end nvidia cards?
    As far as video cards go, Nvidia and AMD leapfrog eachother here all the time, so any brand specific recommendation is going to be obsolete by the next press release.

I tend to prefer Nvidia cards just based on their driver options being more user friendly, but I have had AMD (and ATi) cards in the past, and won't talk them down.

If you think you might ever be interested in running dual (or more video cards) I would recommend sticking to Nvidia. AMD's crossfire implementation has been notoriously shaky in the past. It has apparently improved a lot in the last 2 years since I ran dual Radeon 6970's, but Nvidia is still much more stable here.

For single cards, either will do. Get the most bang you can for the buck, and I recommend going to Anandtech's bench section for some quick and easy comparisons.
    Last edited by mattlach; March 25th, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
    Desktop: Intel Core i7-3930K@4.8Ghz, Asus P9X79 WS, 64GB DDR3-1866, 400GB Intel 750 SSD, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    As a fan of AMD it pains me to say this, but I am going to have to disagree here.

AMD has fallen so far behind in the CPU game, that even their top end CPU's can no longer keep up with Intel's entry level core i3's.

There is a reason they are so much cheaper.

Now, granted, most games wind up being video card bound WAY before they are CPU bound, but that isn't the case for all of them (Starcraft II and Red Orchestra II being two notable examples, but there are many many more.)

If you go the AMD route MOST games will work just fine, but many will slow down and not perform as you'd like. If you go with a Core i5 Intel based CPU, all of them will run fine.
    Do you feel like it's worth it to save around $120 and go with the i5 4670 over the i7 4770? I could probably eventually swing either one, but I don't want to waste my money if it's truly unnecessary.

Beans

Wow. The responses so far are a lot different than I expected. I'm definitely planning on spending a lot on a video card. I'm looking at the nvidia GTX 780 or radeon r9 290. So you feel that the hyperthreading isn't worth the money, and that a high end i5 is going to be better than a low end i7? I do want to build for the future, and not just for what flies right now.

And thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out. And also, the i5 4670(k) is what I was looking at for the i5 vs. the i7 4770.

I have a R9 270X and I installed the 14.3 beta driver just fine on Debian. Check the screenshots thread at the top of the forum page 5 if you want a screenshot. It runs Dota 2 on Linux great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you feel like it's worth it to save around $120 and go with the i5 4670 over the i7 4770? I could probably eventually swing either one, but I don't want to waste my money if it's truly unnecessary.
    I would save the money and go with the i5-4670. You won't even notice the difference between it and an i7-4770 in games.

Furthermore, unless you plan on overclocking save yourself some more money by going with the non-K part. The K parts are only for overclockers. Unoverclocked they perform identically to their non-K counterparts.
    Last edited by mattlach; March 26th, 2014 at 12:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast