Thread: Delete resistant thumbnail

Beans

Delete resistant thumbnail

I may have picked up spyware from a google site. It is a thumbnail of a book, which has setteled in 'Dash home' and I have not found a way to delete it. I would appreciate any helpful suggetions.

Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Delete resistant thumbnail

Sounds like the Google play books web app. I don't know exactly I don't use them but a few websites will place a .desktop entry in ~/.local/share/applications if you have files there they can be safely deleted to get rid of the dash entry
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Also to clarify things a bit, it's not "spyware", and you didn't exactly pick it from a web site either.

Integrating certain web services with Unity launcher (and things like the Messaging menu, for example) is a built-in feature of Unity, and when it recognises you have entered a web site that is supported you'll get a popup asking if you wish to enable it or not.

So, the icon actually comes from Ubuntu itself, not the website, and it's completely safe and not spyware. However if it you accidentally enable it for a web site you don't want to see in Unity launcher, you can follow CaptainMark's instructions to remove the launcher.

Beans

Thanks, for the helpful suggestions. However the thumbnail has vanished, just as mysteriously as it appeared. I can no longer find it in 'Dash Home.'