Thread: Idiots guide to Mythtv

Beans

Angry Idiots guide to Mythtv

Is there a step by step guide for this?
    Tried http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php and found it less than informative the only thing I managed with it is I think I have my tuner card now working but nothing else.
    I am using a Win TV-HVR-2250 and this was so simple to setup in windows 7 and finding it just stupidly hard to set this up in Ubuntu where it shouldn't be.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Idiots guide to Mythtv

Thread moved to Mythbuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have you tried to use a prepackaged install such as Mythbuntu? Things may work better out of the box better than taking a vanilla Ubuntu install and adding on the packages. Of course Mythbuntu will be able to run any repository packages you might want to install on your computer like any other distro of Ubuntu.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried the guide in my sig?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Is there no way to just load up a program to use my tuner card without setting up and entire hosting server that offers way more than I want or need? I like how my Xubuntu is as it is. Why is this such a problem in Windows 7 I just loaded this up with drivers and win tv scanned for channels and was watching TV within 20 minutes. It should not be this complicated.

Beans

Thanks for all the suggestions though guys it is really appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcse2000ca View Post
    Is there no way to just load up a program to use my tuner card without setting up and entire hosting server that offers way more than I want or need? I like how my Xubuntu is as it is. Why is this such a problem in Windows 7 I just loaded this up with drivers and win tv scanned for channels and was watching TV within 20 minutes. It should not be this complicated.
    Mythtv is not a tv watching app. It's primarily a powerful PVR application suite that does scheduled recordings and plays them back, but it also lets you watch live TV and does a few other things with varying degrees of success. But if all you want to do is watch live TV on your PC, period, then Mythtv is more than you need.

Among the dedicated Linux tv playing apps, TVTime is a very popular choice. http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/ Other tv/theater apps of various capabilities and currentness may be found via http://linuxappfinder.com/multimedia/television

In addition, several of the usual linux simple video viewing apps (like vlc and xine) can even receive dvb digital TV directly from the tuner card, without any additional applications, if a channels.conf file is prepared (using the text-mode tools at linuxtv.org or elsewhere to compose the file) to allow the tuner card to be tuned. See e.g. https://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_Use_a_Capture_Card/ But using one of the small, dedicated TV apps may be simplest of all.
    Last edited by aelfric55; March 25th, 2014 at 01:04 PM.

Beans

Thanks so much and yes I am not looking for a PVR center or anything like that I just bought this HVR-2250 to complete my mediacenter to have the addition of being able to tune in TV as well, no need to serve media other than to that machine itself.
    Thanks for understanding and I will give those a shot.