Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gnome does not see the suspend button

Beans
    Hidden!

gnome does not see the suspend button

looking at gnome exptensions, I see hibernate. So I installe log in and out, but it is not showing up.
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...status-button/

also mention alt-modifier to do something with sleep. Anyone know how to get this to work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gnome, does not see the suspend button?

This is an irritant to me as well. On previous distros, Gcampax has kept an extension , alternate-status-menu (I think) maintained which IMO provides a power management app superior to Gnome's. There are apparently issues with Gnome 3.10 and suspend so right now that extension is not available. I find that using the 'alt' modifier in conjunction with the power button does work on my two installs. I became curios about alternative methods to suspend so did a bit of googling. The 'pm-utils' scripts seem to work but of course only on accounts with sudo privileges. I was able to modify the sudoers file to allow user accounts to run the "pm-suspend" command and created a desktop launcher (Oh NO! not THAT!) beneath the power button in the upper right corner. I'm hoping there is an extension update released once 14.04 is closer to the release date.
    Last edited by kurt18947; March 25th, 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The usual way to suspend in Gnome Shell is to press Alt. The shutdown icon changes to the suspend icon. No extension necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try to press the ALT button while the power menu is open,
    it reveals the suspend button in place of the power-off button.
    Last edited by james114; March 26th, 2014 at 11:37 AM.
    OS: Ubuntu 12.04 / Specification: Xeon 3210 with 8 GB DDR333
    My Bible Project (PHP)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: gnome does not see the suspend button

Thanks, hold alt button does change to show a pause icon and then it suspends.
    I am happy to know that, but why hide this? I think people would be better served to click and see suspend.
    Otherwise they will have no clue unless someone shows it to them as a hidden feature, makes it less user friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's been a bone of contention for some time, but, in the end, it's a choice by the Gnome devs and designers. The functionality is explained in the Gnome docs and in the Gnome help file. Of course, no one ever reads anything. In a default Gnome, at first boot, the user is shown a configuration GUI and then the help application is displayed. Ubuntu Gnome does not do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    It's been a bone of contention for some time, but, in the end, it's a choice by the Gnome devs and designers. The functionality is explained in the Gnome docs and in the Gnome help file. Of course, no one ever reads anything. In a default Gnome, at first boot, the user is shown a configuration GUI and then the help application is displayed. Ubuntu Gnome does not do that.
    Ah, that would help. Perhaps Gnome could put a "how do I" slide show documenting common operations on their home page. I still fail to see where adding a Suspend or Sleep button to the existing Cancel, Restart and Power Off would be that onerous. One line of reasoning I've read is that a suspend button is superfluous on a laptop, just close the lid. Yes that works but our desktops don't have lids. I'm faced with moving my wife from Ubuntu 12.04 w/ gnome-shell to 14.04 Ubuntu-Gnome. She is very structured and doesn't like changing what has worked very well. I'll have to see what our options are and which she prefers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, putting up that kind of tutorial on first boot is something every DE do. When Gnome 3 was first released, several pretty good video tutorials were done, with a live human, that focused on one aspect of the new design. If Gnome has the resources, they should consider doing an entire tutorial series and packaging it for activation after first boot on the default install.

I spent about a week with 14.04 Gnome. It uses Gnome 3.10, which is an improvment over the older versions. I did not find it dramatically different in any significant way, though, so it might not take long to get used to. Take a look at extensions.gnome.org to see if anything there can simplify things. There is an "Alternative Status Menu" extension that adds buttons for suspend and logout.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just installed alternative status menu.
    Still no suspend button.
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...e-status-menu/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Odd. It's Github page shows it updated for 3.10 and 3.12.

Have you checked in Tweak Tool to see if it is activated?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast