Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running Music Library System on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Running Music Library System on Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by rbmoler View Post
    The database is dominately classical CDs. The next biggest category is DVDs of operas. LDs and LPs are also present. I've converted all of my VHS tapes (also operas) to DVD (for my own use, of course.) There is no specific way to segregate the different formats. I used "Location" to handle that by prefixing every entry by the name of the format (CD, DVD [includes blurays] LD and LP.) They are stored by format; composer last name (main composer for discs with works from several composers); title (for example Symphony No 6 or Aida) and Category- an arbitrary 3 digit number that represents the type of work (415 = string trio, 705 = dymphony.)

I didn't quite understand how BOX did sharing. I uploaded the .dat file and assumed the old link would work. Here's the correct one.

https://app.box.com/s/e4pwpu93lpzkp9wmeivv
    I am pretty sure I can extract the files to put in whatever format you wish - but it would be much easier if I could see whatever the program looks like while running... Could you post the REBUILD utility, or the set of .IX# files? It might give me some direct information about field names, and sizes, that I can't easily deduce from the .DAT file...

Thanks!
    | Xubuntu 20.04 / Arch rolling XFCE/ MX-19 patito feo / Arcolinux 20.5.7 rolling / EndeavourOS rolling XFCE / Ubuntu Unity 20.04 / Arch rolling Cinnamon / EndeavorsOS rolling Budgie / Arch rolling XFCE-compiz / Kubuntu 20.04 |

Beans

The database had a simple purpose. I had been keeping my LPs on a deep shelf filed by composer. By the time I had a couple hundred, it started to get messy because I could have a Beethoven piano sonota on three different LPs only on one of which Beethoven was the first composer. I couldn't keep in my head all those separate locations. I needed a way to find a particular performance, hence the Music Library System which is just what it says it is, a good way to catalog (and file) the albums so that, for example, I can easily locate one of the six versions of Barber's Adagio including the original, which is the Adagio movement in his string quartet. I'm going to have it running amok in my head for the next several hours. The CDs are in purpose designed and built drawers cabinets, each drawer holding about 90 singles.

I'm still adding to my collection sporadically - particularly operas. I agree, the collection will be dispersed when I die. None of my kids are passionate about classical music. I am not a casual listener either. I go to a lot of concerts in the Northern VA area. The music and video go through my Oppo DVD/Blueray player to a 67inch screen and a Sony 200W/ch 7.1 channel receiver to a pair of Phase Tech floor standing speakers. There are a few surround sound CD and videos also.

So the database has no purpose other than making it easy for me to keep the collection stored in an orderly manner and the music relatively easy to put my finger on.

I'll upload one of the IX# files and provide the link.

IX1 has been uploaded to Box. The link is: https://app.box.com/s/bzqnhp2xybzkwgaji24d

BTW: The author of the program is, apparently, alive and well in the Miami area. He and his wife ran the Software Guild, Inc. It has not been shut down but is listed as inactive.
    Last edited by rbmoler; March 26th, 2014 at 01:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'll upload one of the IX# files and provide the link.

IX1 has been uploaded to Box. The link is: https://app.box.com/s/bzqnhp2xybzkwgaji24d
    Apparently it needs all of the defined index files, or the REBUILD program to create them, before it will run. Perhaps you could pop either up for that purpose?

Being that you use the program for a reference only, have you thought what form you would most like to have it in? It is, of course, possible to run it the way it is in DOSbox... or you run it in a spreadsheet - or any number of alternate database programs once the data is out and portable. If your choice is DOSbox - it should be possible to make it accessible directly from the desktop... Of course - then I wouldn't have the fun of extracting the data... Your choice.
    | Xubuntu 20.04 / Arch rolling XFCE/ MX-19 patito feo / Arcolinux 20.5.7 rolling / EndeavourOS rolling XFCE / Ubuntu Unity 20.04 / Arch rolling Cinnamon / EndeavorsOS rolling Budgie / Arch rolling XFCE-compiz / Kubuntu 20.04 |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One possible use case is to use dosbox to run the existing database. Then add any new albums to rhythmbox or some other music database. Then you would have to search through two databases to find what you want. An alternative is to manually add items to a new database any time you perform a comparative--listening to all 6 versions of Barber's Adagio for Strings for instance. That way you incrementally add items to the new database and you will have a current listing of all the tracks that you have listened to recently.

When you die, please send me a PM, because I would like to buy your collection. You might need to write a script to do that, because it is difficult to send a PM when you are dead. But the collection is impressive!

Send an email to the author and ask him to port it to linux. There is a pascal compiler for linux call free pascal (fpc). I'm not sure of the differences from Turbo Pascal, but no harm in trying to compile. Ask the author if he would be willing to release the code under an open license.
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 26th, 2014 at 04:26 AM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The more I think about it, the more I suspect you might be better off just running it in dosbox - one click from the desktop to running...

If you don't yet know how... after dosbox is installed and run the first time, it creates a 'hidden' directory for itself in your home directory. This is called .dosbox (note the . - that's what makes it 'hidden' when you don't tell it to show! (use of CTRL-H will toggle the hidden into view or not)). First, you copy all of your MUSIC.* files into .dosbox. In there is a file called doscfg-0.74.conf. If you add these lines:
    Code:
    mount c ~/.dosbox
    c:
    music
    exit
    at the very bottom (after AUTOEXEC) and save, the next time you start DOSbox with a click on the side panel, it should autostart right into the MUSIC program, with all files present... and exit cleanly when you leave!

Enjoy - or let me at the running program for extraction!

Beans

I'll upload the entire thing on BOX and put the link here.

I have dosbox on my desktop already and attempted to use it to access the Music directory on the common data disk media/data\music\music.exe. No luck with that. If that's possible I'd prefer to run the program that way so for a while at least its available if I boot Win XP.

I really don't see much point in using some other DB program. I have such a program on XP and while it would find the data on-line, It didn't make the lookup as useful as Music does. Most of those programs are designed for popular/rock/etc music. They get hung up with performers and singers rather than Composers which is the top item in Music Library.

My local classical music station is interested in the collection. I'll definitely leave instruction to my executor (My oldest daughter) to contact tgalati4 if the station declines to accept it under the terms of my will.

I need java to upload the folder Music otherwise I'd have to have 9 links, UGH. Be back later (I hope) with just one link

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Probably the best bet... I still have things accessible in a similar manner instead of on a 'real' platform - and not just because I wrote the alternatives (sometimes simpler is better)

You could still modify the doscfg file as suggested, though - to make it easy to access quickly (which is part of the point, right?) Perhaps like this:

Code:
    mount c /media/data/music
    c:
    music
    exit
    should do it. Enjoy - and if this is the 'final fix', please mark this thread SOLVED with the Thread Tools at the top right of the page..
    Last edited by freebird54; March 26th, 2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: typos

Beans

I had actually tried that already. I tried again opening dosbox and got the prompt Z:\

When I copied the line

I get the message that the directory doesn't exist. It further says that it really has to be in the home/robert directory. (example dos/progs)
    So that's my sticking point. Apparently media/data doesn't exist as far as dos box is concerned. Just to be sure there's not something missing:
    I've set up media/data so that it mounts on bootup. My Firefox and Thunderbird profiles are there so that both OSs access the same profiles. Does that make any difference?

Here's the link to the folder Music which has the complete data base (9 files)

https://app.box.com/s/f2rn6knth69k54zkzy2p

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I had actually tried that already. I tried again opening dosbox and got the prompt Z:\

When I copied the line

I get the message that the directory doesn't exist. It further says that it really has to be in the home/robert directory. (example dos/progs)
    So that's my sticking point. Apparently media/data doesn't exist as far as dos box is concerned. Just to be sure there's not something missing:
    I've set up media/data so that it mounts on bootup. My Firefox and Thunderbird profiles are there so that both OSs access the same profiles. Does that make any difference?

Here's the link to the folder Music which has the complete data base (9 files)

https://app.box.com/s/f2rn6knth69k54zkzy2p
    OK - that should not happen - I just tried the whole program here - and it is willing to work anywhere I put it... such as
    Code:
    mount c /mnt/data2/music
    OR

Code:
    mount c /media/Expansion_/music
    so the location did not bite you I would expect that a typo - or not EXACTLY matching the name of your external drive (including especially the CaSe of that name) might be the source of your dfficulty

I could still try to extract the data for you - but you will have a hard time matching its capabilities without a custom rewrite - and you are used to it now anyway! Hope this helps...

Beans

I'm a little frustrated here. When I open media/data/ in my home folder and then open the folder /Music/ (with the initial uppercas M) is that name going to be the correct one for opening it as c in dosbox? I was very careful to change the label on my E drive under XP to be all lower case letters. Ubuntu does indeed see the Music folder as having an uppercase initial M and shows the drive as media/data all lowercase.

I've played with this for the past hour. I made absolutely sure that everything is lowercase. Home folder shows the external drive as media/data (all lower case) If I open it and brouse to music (all lower case.) I see the music.exe file and all the other files I even copied and pasted the names into the dosbox mount command, but I always get the" directory does not exist" response. Maybe I really do have to unmount that drive before I can mount it again under dosbox.

I even opened XP and looked at the disk label and directory name to verify that I had it right. Still no luck. Something more is involved.
    Last edited by rbmoler; March 27th, 2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: more info

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast