Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SRWare Iron doesn't load???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: SRWare Iron doesn't load???

Try the following which is the name of configuration file in hidden folders.

Code:
    chromium
    Edit: https://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3764
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 23rd, 2014 at 12:59 AM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Try the following which is the name of configuration file in hidden folders.

Code:
    chromium
    Edit: https://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3764
    Nope. Tried that in Home, usr, usr/share and usr/share/iron directories (in Terminal). No luck.

A friend pointed out that I was not using the 'sudo' command when using 'where". I tried it, and it just showed me the same thing I already knew, that iron is in /usr/share/iron . Still does not run in Terminal.

Question: THere are several *.pak files in that directory. Is it possible they need to be unzipped by something? Or am I treeing up the wrong bark?
    Last edited by zaivala; March 23rd, 2014 at 02:12 AM.
    Every time I hear the word "Progress" my fur bristles!

Beans

OK, stupid person here. I tried loading iron using 'sudo'.

zaivala@zaivala-desktop:/$ sudo /usr/share/iron/iron
    /usr/share/iron/iron: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    zaivala@zaivala-desktop:/$

So it is, indeed, a missing library. Where/how do I get this? I'll go try Synaptic. Or look in my current directories and see if it is misplaced.

OK, Synaptic says I have libudev0 installed. Is this the lib I need, or ???
    Last edited by zaivala; March 23rd, 2014 at 02:21 AM.

Beans

zaivala@zaivala-desktop:/usr/share/iron$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install iron
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package iron
    zaivala@zaivala-desktop:/usr/share/iron$

...and just because I'm stupid, I ran that in Home, usr, and usr/share as well as the shown usr/share/iron

Is the package broken?

Edited to add: I'm getting a bit ready to give up... I would also state that my Windoze machine has Precise Puppy on it (32-bit), and iron32 runs just fine on it...
    Last edited by zaivala; March 23rd, 2014 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

I gave up on Iron quite some time ago. I couldn't even get it to work in Windows. Not sure what happened between various upgrade versions but, like you, I could download it and see it the Dash but it wouldn't load. I'll keep watching this thread for a solution so good luck with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

OP, did you choose the 64-bit version of the browser? Your OS is 64-bit according to your first post.

I don't use Iron and so can't comment for sure.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans

Iron works great for me in WIndows 8 32-bit and has worked great in Windows 7 32-bit. It also works great for me in Precise Puppy 32-bit, which, other than being 32-bit, is based on the same kernel and repositories as Ubuntu Precise Pangolin.

If you had read all the messages, you could see that we have been talking about iron64, which is the 64-bit.

I did get a copy of Chromium. It is not as satisfactory but I'll fake it. Iron saves my bookmarks and all on the web, so no matter what computer I load it on (assuming it runs) I have all my bookmarks, which is a major feature for me. Firefox used to have a plugin which did that, but they stopped using it; Iron has it automatic when I log in.

Those of you who don't know this, which is maybe one or two of those reading this, know that chromium is the open-source project which Google ran to see if they could make a good, fast browser. Chrome is taking that code and adding a bunch of Googleness to it. Iron is chromium with almost all the Googleness, which was in chromium, stripped out. So that is also a selling point if you're not big into Google.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by zaivala View Post
    If you had read all the messages, you could see that we have been talking about iron64, which is the 64-bit.
    Yes, I did. Nowhere did you mention that you're trying 64-bit Iron. Anyway, all the best.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans

Sorry, I thought that replying to Frog telling me to run "iron64" would have given it away.

Beans

If the executable (iron) is located in the folder /usr/share/iron (as post #8 indicates) then you need to cd to /usr/share/iron and then use the command ./iron in the terminal instead of iron

That's because /usr/share/iron is not in $PATH which is where bash looks for the location of executables. That's also why you get "iron: command not found".
    Last edited by Dennis N; March 23rd, 2014 at 09:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast