Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 1 eventually become the LTS or normal release?.

Beans

Will Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 1 eventually become the LTS or normal release?.

Hi

About a week ago I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 1 intending to update my way to the final release (because I was excited and because I wanted to get a head start). My question is this: if I continue to update it, what am I going to end up with a few months from now...the LTS?. The normal release?. When I first installed it I saw the word "LTS" in a few places during the installation (and based on a few things I've read) I was under the impression that the beta 1 (which I have installed now) will eventually become the LTS - however, when I run "lsb_release -a" it just says "Ubuntu 14.04" "Trusty Tahr" "Development Channel" but I don't see "LTS". So do I have the LTS or normal release installed?.

Also, once it becomes the final release, will I need to change repos?.

Thanks for your input, CB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Will Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 1 eventually become the LTS or normal release?.

Thread moved to Ubuntu +1.

You will have the same as anyone installing it once it is released - with the exception that you will also have all the updated packages unless you remove them.

Beans

Thank you for your reply. Will I have the LTS or regular release though once I'm finished updating my way up to the final version?.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Actually, it is

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty
    It is the development branch because it is 14.04 under development and is not yet 14.04 LTS. And lsb-release is just a text file. It will be updated when we update after release day and then we will no longer see "development branch."

Have you looked at System Settings>Details? Or the login screen? What do those say? Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my machine. For much of the last five months it was "13.10" because the next release of Ubuntu is built upon the last release and the labels and logos are not changed until the development cycle is well past the mid point.

So, to answer your question. You do not have either the LTS or the "normal" (standard/interim) release installed. You have a development release installed.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thank you for your reply. I understand that I don't have the LTS at the moment but what will I have once I have updated my way to the final release?. For example, if I continue updating for the next few months, what will I eventually end up with...the LTS or normal release?. What will the Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 1 I currently have installed eventually become?.
    Last edited by coolbreeze472; March 21st, 2014 at 06:48 PM.

Beans

You will have the LTS 14.04.

Beans

Thank you very much, I was hoping that would be the answer . I'm one of those people who don't like upgrading every six months so I wanted to have something installed that would stick around for awhile.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

> You will have the LTS 14.04.

If you apply updates, your packages will get upgraded, but, if a package were to be entirely removed from the final 14.04 distribution, your copy will not get removed by applying normal updates, right? Only an dist-upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I do not know which flavor of Ubuntu Beta you installed (e.g Xubuntu,Lubuntu, Gnome) but I would like to add:
    Ubuntu LTS release will be supported for 5 years, but Ubuntu Gnome, Xubuntu LTS release are supported for 3 years and not 5.

Since Ubuntu does not participate in Alpha, Beta releases, I am guessing, you have one of the flavors installed.
    So it just might be that your installation is supported for 3 years.
    Last edited by su:bhatta; March 21st, 2014 at 08:37 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

I installed Ubuntu v14.04 Beta 1 and I think I downloaded it from here....

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gno.../14.04/beta-1/

Interesting, I have been wondering all this time why there was no Unity installed but since I prefer the Gnome Shell, it is just as well. So...I guess I have the Gnome version that will later become Ubuntu 14.04 GNOME LTS which is supported for 3 years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast