Thread: phpmyadmin doesn't allow me to login

Beans

Question phpmyadmin doesn't allow me to login

Hello Community,

I just rent my first root-server and never used linux before, so I got the following problem:
    I made a new database through phpmyadmin in mysql and imported some stuff in it. I realized, that I need to allow external access because I had some data on a old server, I needed on my new one. So I followed this tutorial to do this: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do...se-server.html .
    After that I wrote "service mysql restart". And since then I can't login into phpmyadmin anymore. I didn't changed any passwords or rights. I already tried every password, I could imagine and tried every password from my local password database, nothing works.
    Okay now I removed phpmyadmin, mysql-common and mysql-server completely with purge and now when I try installing phpmyadmin I get always this error:
    Code:

1. An error occurred while installing the database: │ │ │ │ ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using │ │ password: YES) │ │ │ │ If at this point you choose "retry", you will be prompted with all the │ │ configuration questions once more and another attempt will be made at │ │ performing the operation. "retry (skip questions)" will immediately │ │ attempt the operation again, skipping all questions. If you choose │ │ "abort", the operation will fail and you will need to downgrade, │ │ reinstall, reconfigure this package, or otherwise manually intervene to │ │ continue using it. If you choose "ignore", the operation will continue, │ │ ignoring further errors from dbconfig-common.
    I can get to my phpmyadmin login screen but anyway the password doesn't seem to work again, and I get this error, which I also got before I removed it #1045 Cannot log in to the MySQL server" and this, which is new, "Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed."
    I figured out, that I can login into MySQl through PuTTy, so terminal, but only when I click ENTER when it asks for a password. The strange thing is: I set up a password, when I installed MySQL. Maybe that's the error, because phpmyadmin doesn't allow no passwords?
    Now I have no idea what to do next, hopefully one of you guys can help me.
    Ah and I run Ubuntu 64 bit 12.04.

Greetings Deidara

Beans

Re: phpmyadmin doesn't allow me to login

Hi, Deidara. If you deleted everything, including the database, you would have to recreate that. You would also have to reassign the permissions in the DB for root. I would login to mysql as the root user, and do a:

show databases;

Then use the 'grant all' syntax to add root and any other admin user to that database.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to server platforms
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

That's what I get, when I type in your commands:
    Code:
    mysql> show databases;
    +--------------------+
    | Database           |
    +--------------------+
    | information_schema |
    | test               |
    +--------------------+
    2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> grant all
        -> ;
    ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1