Thread: Broadcom 4306 / HP Pavilion zv5200

Beans

Unhappy Broadcom 4306 / HP Pavilion zv5200

I am completely new to Linux and just installed Lubuntu 13 on a very old HP Pavilion zv5200 laptop. I understand I need to install NDISWRAPPER in order to make the Broadcom 4306 WiFi work. I already have the Windows .inf and .sys files for the wireless adapter.

I downloaded ndiswrapper-1.59.tar in another PC and copied it to to the Linux laptop.
    I extracted the file but when I tried to build it using 'make' it told me 'make' was not installed.
    I found out I had to install 'build-essential' but when I tried this (sudo apt-get install build-essential) it just said there were no candidates.
    I tried looking in the Software Center and Package Manager but found no mention of ndiswrapper, make, or build-essential.
    I am getting really frustrated as I do not understand how to install or even find these commands.

I would appreciate it very much if someone would be patient enough to show me the way to get ndiswrapper and my wifi adapter working.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Complete Newbie trying to install WiFi drivers

Sorry, no help with NDISWrapper, but,

If you want to compile it you can refer to this Help page : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo

bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Broadcom 4306 / HP Pavilion zv5200

Hi, welcome to the fora.

I suggest that you use Ndiswrapper only as a last resort. You will probably find better solutions for a BCM 4306 (be aware that there are more than one card with that name) if you take a look around here in Networking and Wireless.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe you were lucky that the ndiswrapper didn't compile, otherwise you would have happily installed it and made it more difficult than it really is.

If you have a wired connection or other means to connect to internet, please open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T) and run this command -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    Reboot and see if wifi is working now.

If you don't have a working internet connection on that machine, download the firmware package from this link : http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...buntu1_all.deb

Copy the downloaded .deb package to your Ubuntu Desktop, open a terminal, and run the following command to manually install it -
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-firmware*.deb
    If the firmware is installed and it still doesn't work, please follow the "Wireless Script" link in my signature, download and run the script as per instructions there, and post back the report it generates.

While posting the outputs, please use 'Code' tags. It preserves the output's formatting and makes the post cleaner, compact and more readable. To see a quick 'HowTo' with screenshots, please follow the "Using Code Tags" link in my signature.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying your post? This is why.

Beans

Varun,

thanks a lot! The problem was solved by following your directions. Now I have fully functioning Wireless Adapter and Internet access!

great help!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You're welcome!

Just one thing to keep in mind -

During updates, the "Additional Drivers" feature may offer you a proprietary driver. DON't install it, as it would block the current driver and won't work itself. With this precaution, your wireless should keep working from now on.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying your post? This is why.