Thread: Routine update for Ubuntu 13.10 causes black screen with x-shaped cursor

Beans

Routine update for Ubuntu 13.10 causes black screen with x-shaped cursor

Hi,

I've been using Ubuntu 13.10 for a while now (with cuda 5.5 installed according to this answer http://askubuntu.com/questions/38060...u-13-10-64-bit) and everything has been working fine. Last night I installed some updates the software manager requested and switched off the computer. This morning I came in and booted up the computer. I proceed through the OS loading screen with the 'ubuntu' logo and the little dots that represent loading normally, but after that the screen goes black and I just have an x-shaped cursor. I've tried a variety of tricks through the TTY console but nothing has worked, and I'm stuck without a GUI. Has anyone seen this problem before, and is there a known solution? I've tried:

- Backing up my xorg.conf file

- Reinstalling the ubuntu desktop:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get install unity

- Purging nvidia* and reinstalling the latest NVIDIA drivers (note that I compiled these with GCC 4.6 instead of GCC 4.8, as required previously by the CUDA installation).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Routine update for Ubuntu 13.10 causes black screen with x-shaped cursor

HAve you tried booting into recovery mode and using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg? I think just reinstalling it keeps the configuration options unless --purge is used. Worth a shot
    BTC: 1E8os2cx3JLnp9PMZAtn1eT8kBxaRPq9Hp