Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 lightdm-gtk-greeter window buttons in panel after login.

Beans
    Hidden!

2 lightdm-gtk-greeter window buttons in panel after login.

I have both the 64 and 32 bit versions of Lubuntu 14.04 running in VMs of VirtualBox. The 32 bit system is running fine, and sometimes the 64 bit system also is OK, but mostly after logging in to the 64 bit OS I am left with two window buttons in the panel, which I have put at the top of the screen, both for lightdm-gtk-greeter, but neither of which do anything, and also a white empty space in the middle of the screen where the lightdm login box was showing previously.

I have managed to get a screenshot which is attached showing what happens.

I have never seen this in the 32bit system, only the 64bit.

Any thoughts; has anyone else seen this? I have searched launchpad but can find nothing.

This is using an Intel i5-3570K cpu machine with 8GB ram and only the intel cpu graphics, no separate graphic card.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 2 lightdm-gtk-greeter window buttons in panel after login.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks Elfy.

I have no idea why my search did not find that launchpad bug when I searched, but I've added myself to it now.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The ways of searching Launchpad are arcane and not for the little people like us

I only know about that bug because it's reported on Xubuntu tracker's which I watch ...

Beans
    Hidden!

Interestingly, I had not seen the problem on my Xubuntu VM 14.04 64bit until today, but nearly always when using Lubuntu 64bit, never the 32bit system.

In Xubuntu a left click on the desktop seems to close those two zombie greeter processes, but the same does not happen in Lubuntu, where I have to logout and in again, sometimes several times; very annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Glad I keep a lookout on U+1 threads everyday.
    I have the exact same thing when I login to Ubuntu Studio session.
    But when I use Gnome or KDE sessions in the same install it is not there. Xfce bug, as pointed out by Elfy I guess.
    lightdm.jpg

Attaching my screenshot.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Interestingly, I had not seen the problem on my Xubuntu VM 14.04 64bit until today, but nearly always when using Lubuntu 64bit, never the 32bit system.

In Xubuntu a left click on the desktop seems to close those two zombie greeter processes, but the same does not happen in Lubuntu, where I have to logout and in again, sometimes several times; very annoying.
    I'm waiting to have it happen again here to get lightdm logs into the report - if you see it perhaps you could do that. You'll need to get the lightdm logs as root though.

The report needs lightdm.log x-0.log x-0-greeter.log

TIA

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I'm waiting to have it happen again here to get lightdm logs into the report - if you see it perhaps you could do that. You'll need to get the lightdm logs as root though.

The report needs lightdm.log x-0.log x-0-greeter.log

TIA
    I'll try that when I next get the problem.

PS: This is all using VMs in VirtualBox, fully updated, both VB itself and guest VMs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just a footnote - when you get the logs - check for sensitive information before uploading them.

re vm's - I've not actually seen it in a VM - but I do get it in this 'real' install.

Beans
    Hidden!

I haven't forgotten your request; it's just that the problem has not occurred again since I said I would attach the logs, and I've cold booted many, many times. Has it been fixed, do you think, by other package updates?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast