Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Like posts

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Like posts

It would be cool if this forum had a feature to Like people's posts. That would save the trouble of people having to quote a post just to say "+1." I'm a part of a smaller forum based on vBulletin that has that feature, so I know it's not hard to implement.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Like posts

We used to have a "Thank you" feature enabled, but it didn't scale well to a forum this size, and it was misused rather a lot.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    We did have a Thanks button several years ago, but we decided to remove it after it was abused by many of our members.
    It got really abused..
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    It would be cool if this forum had a feature to Like people's posts. That would save the trouble of people having to quote a post just to say "+1." I'm a part of a smaller forum based on vBulletin that has that feature, so I know it's not hard to implement.
    At a guess I would say that it's a plugin - it's not default. Maybe even a different version of the vB software.

As far as
    We did have a Thanks button several years ago, but we decided to remove it after it was abused by many of our members.
    that doesn't mean we can't look at it again.

But, if it is a plugin - then it's not as simple as just grabbing it, Canonical IS have to vet it, then they install it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    It got really abused..
    +1

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    We used to have a "Thank you" feature enabled, but it didn't scale well to a forum this size, and it was misused rather a lot.
    I remember the "Thanks" feature, and I remember how it was abused. It was a disaster. In my experience, a "Like" button, like Facebook has works a lot differently than the old Thanks system did. You just click Like once, and that's it. I don't really see how that can be abused in the same way. In this day and age, it makes a lot more sense to click "Like" than it does to quote a whole post just to say "+1." Plus, everyone is so used to "Like" now that they have its true purpose ingrained in their heads, unlike "Thanks".

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because there have been a lot of posts on here that I would like to "Like" to let them know I appreciate what they said, but I'm not going to quote them just for that. If there are 15 posts in a thread I appreciate, it would be silly to quote them all just to +1 them all. So they have no idea that someone appreciated what they said. Whereas if we had a Like button, I would be more likely to "Like" all 15 posts to let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    At a guess I would say that it's a plugin - it's not default. Maybe even a different version of the vB software.

As far as that doesn't mean we can't look at it again.

But, if it is a plugin - then it's not as simple as just grabbing it, Canonical IS have to vet it, then they install it.
    It probably is a plugin. I'm pretty sure it's the same version of vB, though. From what I've seen, I don't think it would be hard to implement, even if Canonical does have to vet it first.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; March 19th, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    ... From what I've seen, I don't think it would be hard to implement, even if Canonical does have to vet it first.
    I doubt it's hard - what I have doubts about is the time

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We may have to look at this again, as times have changed, and many users expect something like, a Like button, but as Elfy says the hurdle is Canonical IS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Perhaps forrestcup can point us at the plugin this other place is using - we can go from there.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Perhaps forrestcup can point us at the plugin this other place is using - we can go from there.
    I'll see if one of the admins over there can tell me what they're using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast