Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M30X-S221ST

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Toshiba Satellite M30X-S221ST

Quote Originally Posted by pancho5 View Post
    A few more questions before I plan on DL'ing the OS's. Lets say I install Ubuntu 12.04.4. After making a good effort for it to run, and then decide to not use it. I can wipe out everything by replacing it with Lubuntu, correct? In other words, the system is not going to look at it as an upgrade, correct? And the same goes for Bodhi?
    Yes, you can wipe everything and make a fresh install.
    Apps that are important to me are as follows:

Spotify - Interested in using, and beta version in Ubuntu 12.04.4 is worth a try, and keep. Not sure if Lubuntu or Bodhi will even support it.

Skype - Interested in using...Ubuntu 12.04.4 says it will work, but, I use it to Skype with family.

Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome - Sorry...I have become so partial with these browsers, to use another one outside of these, and not having to be supported with Bodhi or Lubuntu is disheartening. Any ideas or work around here?
    It is the same engine under the hood. Bodhi is built on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Lubuntu 13.10 is built on a newer version of Ubuntu, 13.10. So it is the desktop environment that makes these distros/flavours/re-spins look differently. It also means that the same application programs can be installed. I have no own experience of Spotify, but I use Skype, Firefox, Chromium-browser and Chrome are there too, as well as many other application programs, LibreOffice etc. Some are installed, some can be easily installed via the software center or a simple command line. These programs work in all those distros/flavours/re-spins.

Definitely NOT a gammer!! Never have been...don't want to be. Computers, marathons, and golf are my passions.

I'm heavily leaning to 12.04.4 because of Spotify & Skype, but if anyone has any additional information about these two apps with Lubuntu or Bodhi it would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the above, I am about ready to make a visit to my brothers house to create some disk images.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Other than the above, I am about ready to make a visit to my brothers house to create some disk images.
    Good that you mentioned disk and not USB, as your computer is not likely to be able to boot from USB. Sorry that you have received dubious advice in the thread.

Please test a handful of distros and post your results. Be aware that the application menu in Bodhi appears after a right-click on the desktop (some people search and search in vain for the application / 'start' button).

All live boots and installations should be done with wired internet connection.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Lets say I choose Bodhi, or any other distro that has the Linux kernel which is supported by Ubuntu, or uses. Does that mean that I will have to get on a different Forum for help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lets say I choose Bodhi, or any other distro that has the Linux kernel which is supported by Ubuntu, or uses. Does that mean that I will have to get on a different Forum for help?
    Probably, but not necessarily. This forum does have an 'Other OS' section. But, the chances of getting responses are obviously increased when you talk to users who also use the same distribution.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And please remember what has been posted here several times, as it is a very basic and very important step before you'll ever have success:

When you download and are ready to burn a disk - be it yourself or someone else - it must be burned using the "burn from image", NOT just burning a file to disk. The Windows option of selecting a file and then using the option "burn to disk" will not do it, it must be burned as an image.

If you, or whomever will be doing this, has ANY questions about this, please post back before wasting another disk. This is paramount. You will get nowhere without doing so. It won't matter what Linux you download - if the file is .iso, you MUST burn as an image, not a file.

I know this has been stated a lot in this thread, but it cannot be repeated enough. You can try the live sessions, the option of PAE or not, etc., once you have a good image burned on a disk. Without that, everything else is moot.

Beans

Thank you...that is exactly what I did! I will be Dl'ing InfraRecorder to do this.

Beans

Apparently Bodhi Linux doesn't have a Windows version for checking the hashes using their md5 check. I read the instructions, but its all for Linux. Morgaes...you have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You could go to another forum for help, but a lot of users have fixed/resolved issues with your system or any of the Ubuntu variants just using this forum.

Generally most of the fixes that are offered are located in the repositories. If there are bugs, they're reported, or if we're unable to help we may point to 3rd party information locations. I'd say just be sure to prepend your post with bodhi if that's what you're using, or Other OS if not available.
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit Fast Ring - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP Stream 13 - elementary Loki 64-bit
    HP Envy M6 - Windows 10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

If the ISO has approx. the expected size you could just go ahead and burn from it. Normally I don't bother checking the MD5 sum, if the download process is normal (no major delays and so on).

I'm leaving the seven page thread now. I think you should experiment more on your own - not because you are not allowed to post but because people learn the most from that. Good luck.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Well, I guess Pentium(R) machines don't have PAE. This is what I get: "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae." Before I try to DL Xubuntu 12.04, nOS, or Bodhi Linux does anyone have any suggestions?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast