Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M30X-S221ST

Beans

Toshiba Satellite M30X-S221ST

I have a Toshiba Satellite M30X-S221ST and it doesn't show up on the Linux on Laptops list. Should I assume that my machine WILL NOT WORK WELL with Ubuntu 12.04.4, or, is it just a list of user who have successfully used a different version of Linux on their machine and it works well?

The reason why I ask is that Ubuntu 12.04.4 documentation says "Laptops are also supported and nowadays most laptops work out of the box.In case a laptop contains specialized or proprietary hardware, some specificfunctions may not be supported. To see if your particular laptop works wellwith GNU/Linux, see for example theLinux Laptop pages."

Beans

Re: Linux on Laptops

The only real way to find out is to install Ubuntu and see if it works.

Beans

That's what I thought. The concern that I have is that this is the only computer that I have. If it doesn't work, I'm hosed! BTW, during the installation of Ubuntu 12.04.4, will it ask me how much space I need for my partition or will it automatically assign an amount for my partition?

Beans

What are the specs of your laptop, especially graphic card.
    The list is just a small subset of what works, it is by no means comprehensive.

Beans

Intel(R)82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller. Is this what you need? I'm new at this...pls be patient,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, I wouldn't assume that. The Linux versions listed at that site are several years old, so it doesn't appear very current. My ThinkPad came out in 2012, happily runs any version of Linux I throw at it, and is not listed there.

You can search on your specific laptop to look for any issues/solutions other Linux users may have found.

Best bet: When you boot an Ubuntu install image, from USB or a DVD, you will have the option to test it in "live" mode. That's a chance to to see if all your hardware components work. If you have problems, ask for help on these forums. (Live mode on a USB is reasonably speedy; live mode on a DVD is reasonably slow.)

Beans

I hear what you are saying and I appreciate your feedback, really I do. But, I'm running WindowsXP and I have no choice but to convert it (support ends 4/8/2014). I will take your advice on the help forums, hopefully the system will be able to run at a point where I can access the internet to ask questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pancho5 View Post
    That's what I thought. The concern that I have is that this is the only computer that I have. If it doesn't work, I'm hosed! BTW, during the installation of Ubuntu 12.04.4, will it ask me how much space I need for my partition or will it automatically assign an amount for my partition?
    The installer does both, basically. You'll see an option to *replace* any existing OS the installer finds, another option to install Ubuntu *alongside* any existing the OS finds, and an option to do "Something Else". That last option brings up a GUI that allows manual partitioning. The first two options handle partitioning automatically.

The *replace* option does just that: removes what's there and installs Ubuntu.
    The "Alongside" option is typically selected when a user wants to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows. There can be issues and potential sticking points about dual booting related to Windows 8, Secure Boot, etc. This forum has many threads on that subject, so it's a good place to scan for info before you jump in.

[If you know you want to replace XP with Ubuntu, I'd just go with the "Replace" option and all will very likely be fine. Do, however, check things out in the "Live" mode first.]
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; March 18th, 2014 at 02:01 PM.

Beans

Ok...two more questions. #1) My laptop has a 1.60Ghz processor, 1.96GB RAM, and a 40GB HD. The Installation guide says I will need 15GB to install Ubuntu. That leaves 35GB of free space in my HD. Am I correct in this? #2) I have two USB Flash drives. One is a Lexar that has three folders. One for Mac(which i don't use), one for Windows(which I don't use), and the other for Vaults. The Vault folder is where I store my MS Word docs, Xcel, and photos. Will I be able to read/open/update those files after I mount the USB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pancho5 View Post
    Ok...two more questions. #1) My laptop has a 1.60Ghz processor, 1.96GB RAM, and a 40GB HD. The Installation guide says I will need 15GB to install Ubuntu. That leaves 35GB of free space in my HD. Am I correct in this?
    You'd have 25GB, not 35.

If XP is using the entire drive -- all 40GB -- and you select the "Replace" option, Ubuntu will use all 40 GB, i.e, the entire disk.

The "15GB" is an approximate measure of the amount of space all the files in a typical fresh Ubuntu install require. What you add after that, of course, uses more space.

So, after the install, you'd have 15GB of Ubuntu system on the drive and 25 GB of space in the Ubuntu filesystem at your disposal.

#2) I have two USB Flash drives. One is a Lexar that has three folders. One for Mac(which i don't use), one for Windows(which I don't use), and the other for Vaults. The Vault folder is where I store my MS Word docs, Xcel, and photos. Will I be able to read/open/update those files after I mount the USB?
    Sorry, can't answer that. Maybe someone else who knows about Vaults can respond.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast