Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI driver caused grafix problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ATI driver DISASTER

I did, and I made changes. And if you will be civil, I'll continue to help.

Also, please don't start multiple threads. I have merged two.
    Last edited by QIII; March 17th, 2014 at 04:05 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ATI driver caused grafix problem

Please do the following

1. Reboot
    2. Hit the arrow down key a few times after bios appears
    3. Select 'additional options for ubuntu', or something similar
    4. Choose the one ending in 'recovery mode' and press enter
    5. Choose 'root'
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    rm /tmp/.tx0-lock
    7. Use instructions at http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx
    8. Reboot
    Last edited by sandyd; March 17th, 2014 at 04:50 AM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

I was able to remove the lock somehow and remove all the files that were causing the bug. After doing this

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati mesa-utils

now my screen goes blue (no signal) and i can not see the log in screen.

Beans

ok so I got around the file lock my doing sudo mount -o remount /dev/sda1--------then i proceeded to uninstall all the drivers that were causing the system to go into low graphics mode by going to http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx and follwoing the steps. and then scuccesfully boot back into the system. Thinking I was safe I proceed to take the advice of the post above and execute the suggested command
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-ati libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core mesa-utils

the result is now my system will boot fine until it gets to the login screen and my monitor turns off saying NO SIGNAL.
    I have tried tore-remove everything again, with no success.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Try this:
    Code:
    ps aux | grep lightdm | awk '{ print $2 }' > ./tokill && for f in `cat tokill`; do sudo kill $f; done && sudo Xorg -configure && sudo mv ./xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    The ` is the tilde key not the ' apostrophe key. (Tilde is to the left of #1 on a US keyboard).

What this does is it takes your processes (ps aux) searches for lightdm (grep lightdm) prints the process number (awk) puts it in a file called to kill (> ./tokill) waits till that's done ( && ) gets every process from the tokill file (for f in ...); kills those processes (sudo kill) creates the configuration file (Xorg -configure) and moves it to the properlocation (sudo mv ./...)
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just to pop in quickly, even though I shouldn't...

xorg.conf is no longer needed and is not used by Ubuntu any longer by default. If the failed fglrx install created one (it shouldn't have, since it failed, but proprietary drivers create on when installed) then simply renaming it to something like /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak should be sufficient. Ubuntu will run very happily with no xorg.conf.

After running the instructions indicated by sandyd and temujin, there was no need to go back to my post and run the commands -- which are just a rehash of what is in cchtml anyway with the addition of mesa-utils, which provides some diagnostic tools.

Edit: Please understand, mikee2, that I am not disagreeing with slooksterpsv, but only adding a bit of info. What sloosterpsv has said will work as advertised. It's just a tidbit of information I know -- and none of us knows everything. This is a team effort.
    Last edited by QIII; March 17th, 2014 at 07:39 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

QIII is right and thank you for mentioning that. Myself, I had to use Xorg -configure to get an xorg file to get into the GUI area to even do the installation. Now I never did try nomodeset which may have worked. Overall QIII is correct.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The difficulty you are having is due to ATI's decision.
    Don't pin blame on ATI. About the only thing they are to blame for is not giving a more pronounced warning to those Linux users downloading legacy drivers from their site that those drivers will not work with later distro/X/kernel versions (but that's not even the case here).

If someone blindly installs a driver that doesn't support his/her card, that person is to blame for not doing his/her homework. As someone who actually used fglrx/Catalyst on an X300 back in 2007, I can tell you that the open source ati driver is leaps and bounds better nowadays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12