Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI driver caused grafix problem

Beans

ATI driver caused grafix problem

I am a brand new user to UBUNTU, and dont know much about the system. I am running 12.04. Recently I installed the FGLRX driver and the fglrx-amdcccle driver for my Raedeon 9200 ATI card, and upon reboot got some error GUI saying i was in low graffixs mode. I could not resolve anything from the given choices in the menuy that was presented, and now can not even login. I am at a black screen that has my user root with TTYL listed which asks me for my login and PW, but upon entereing them it does not work. I dont know how to resolve this or even access UBUNTU now. I did try booting into recovery mode and then deleted teh FGLRX drivers via dpkg --purge fglrx-* but I am still getting the errors. Even now with those removed, I am still getting the low graffics erros and cane lof into my machine. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by QIII; March 17th, 2014 at 04:08 AM. Reason: removed table formatting

Beans

Re: ATI driver caused grafix problem

Bad idea. fglrx/Catalyst dropped support for the Radeon 9200 several years ago.

Make sure you run the 7 commands presented here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx

I am at a black screen that has my user root with TTYL listed which asks me for my login and PW
    Ubuntu does not have a root user enabled by default. You use you regular username and password.
    What would happen if your disk died right now?

Beans

Re: ATI driver caused grafix problem

I am not sure if this is becuase i alraedy uninstalled some of this stuff, but i am getting errors like E: Command line option 'p' [for purge] is not known. I think the main drive is read only rightnow, need to mount and make RW witht he command mount -o remount,rw. Sitll there seems to be files that are lingering becuase I cant log into mymachine in TTYL. the graphics error is still here!
    Last edited by mikee2; March 17th, 2014 at 03:03 AM.

Beans

ATI driver DISASTER

I am a new user to UBUNTU 12.04.. Recently I installed the FGLRX driver and the fglrx-amdcccle driver for my Raedeon 9200 ATI card, and upon reboot got some error GUI saying i was in low graffixs mode. I could not resolve anything from the given choices in the menu that was presented, and now can not even login. WHen i escape that it I am at a black page with TTYL that asks me for LOGIN and PASWWORD, and no matter what i type everything comes up INVALID.

I was able to boot into recovery mode and remove some packages (i think) with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
    sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh 
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
    I thought that after this I would be fine, but after a reboot, the graffix error came up again and I am now getting even more errors in the recovery console. I was given a link to this site for more instructions:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx

the first command i try get this error:

"command line option p [from purge] is not known".

after that I tired this command:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-atiI got these errors:
    Code:
    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
    I get similar errors when attempting to execute the other commands that follow. I do not know if these errors are attributable to the fact that I already ran some removal commands before hand.. At this point I am completely lost and do not know how to rescue my machine. HOw do I see what is installed and how do i make sure i completely remove it? I just want the machine to work the way it was before i installed FGLRX
    Last edited by sandyd; March 17th, 2014 at 03:57 AM. Reason: ftr font

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ATI driver DISASTER

To get back into a stable graphics environment try this (may not give all color depth available) - this will need to be done in a terminal with no windowing system on display 0 (so if X is running switch to a tty and kill it):

sudo Xorg -configure
    sudo mv ./xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Restart
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit Fast Ring - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP Stream 13 - elementary Loki 64-bit
    HP Envy M6 - Windows 10 64-bit

Beans

after typing that command i get the error message:

Fatal server error:
    Could not create
    lock file in /tmp/.tx0-lock

?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Remove the lock file:

Code:
    sudo rm /tmp/.tx0-lock
    Then restart.

I was under the impression that the fglrx driver supported Radeon 9600 and later cards. I believe the 9200 is slightly earlier card and may not be supported by the proprietary driver.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

thnak you for your reply but the error message now is no such directory?! it seems like this is VERY complicated jsut to remove a driver and get my computer working agian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

ATI dropped Linux support for that card a loooong time ago. Probably 2008-ish. The difficulty you are having is due to ATI's decision.

Now they have dropped Linux support for anything earlier than HD 5000 cards.

You should uninstall whatever may have installed of the fglrx driver and use the default open source radeon driver that comes with the default installation of Ubuntu.

If you get the lock sorted out,

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-ati libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core mesa-utils
    Best wishes!
    Last edited by QIII; March 17th, 2014 at 04:01 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Good to know! maybe you could read the rest of my post and help me figure out how to uninstall if i cant access anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast