Thread: how to make ment2 boot from LiveUSB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

how to make ment2 boot from LiveUSB?

I have a LiveUSB drive from which I can boot my laptops (an S76 and a ThinkPad). It's past time a friend upgraded her Meerkat (model=ment2), so I tried booting it from the LiveUSB ... and failed. This seems odd, because I know I have previously installed Ubuntu and Mint on this ment2 from its external USB CD/DVD player (it does not have internal CD/DVD).

Note also that the ment2's motherboard (a Zotac with AMI BIOS) does not have a separate boot-order menu (per Ian Santopietro in 2011), as with my laptops. Instead, I did the following:

1. Power down (`sudo shutdown -Ph now`), power up.

2. At the Zotac splash screen,

2.1. hit key=Del to enter AMI BIOS
    2.2. enter supervisor password
    2.3. insert LiveUSB

3. In the BIOS,

3.1. mainmenu>Boot>Boot Device Priority
    3.2. here I assumed I would see at least 2 boot devices (HD and USBD), and I would ensure the USBD was first in boot order. Instead, I only saw the HD available.

4. Exit BIOS, boot selected device.

So I'm wondering, how to fix? I searched this forum and noted this subthread, in which a similar problem is caused when the OP's netbook has an SD card in its slot. The ment2 doesn't have that problem, but I know that it has a USB keyboard and wireless mouse. I know neither peripheral shipped with the ment2, but I don't know if I installed from the USB CD/DVD before or after the current peripherals arrived :-( and I also know that I can't drive the BIOS without a keyboard.

So I'm wondering: do I need to hunt down a PS/2 keyboard to troubleshoot why I can't boot the USB drive? Or is there something else I can try first?

Beans
    Distro

... given that the ment2 *will* boot from USB CD/DVD player

Quote Originally Posted by tlroche View Post
    I searched this forum and noted this subthread, in which a similar problem is caused when the OP's netbook has an SD card in its slot. The ment2 doesn't have [an SD card reader], but I know that it has a USB keyboard and wireless mouse. I know neither peripheral shipped with the ment2, but I don't know if I installed from the USB CD/DVD before or after the current peripherals arrived
    However I did verify today that I can boot from a gparted LiveCD via the ment2's external USB CD/DVD reader: BIOS recognized it and allowed me to set it first in the boot order. FWIW, that reader is 2-headed (presumably for power draw), but I kinda doubt that (i.e., the difference between a normal 1-headed USB-connected drive and a 2-headed USB-connected media reader) could cause differential outcome. Am I missing something?

So to summarize:

1. (problem) LiveUSB is not recognized @ boottime by ment2.
    2. same LiveUSB is recognized @ boottime and is booted by laptop.
    3. LiveCD in USB-connected CD/DVD reader is recognized @ boottime and is booted by ment2.

Beans
    Distro

*must* install from USB CD/DVD player

Eventually I escalated to System76 support. Net: I'll just hafta burn a LiveDVD to do the install.