Thread: X locks up when enabling wifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

X locks up when enabling wifi

In the last day or two, my wifi connection has been becoming unresponsive after a few minutes of use. My browser starts timing out when loading pages. Then it starts saying there is no route to anything. Even my LAN gateway becomes unreachable.

If I toggle wifi, X locks up when I turn it back on. Ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't work. Sometimes this situation persists even after a warm boot. I must reboot cold before I can turn wifi back on.

I first noticed this after updating a bunch of packages. I don't even know what packages I updated; I just updated what was recommended. Is there a way to tell what packages were recently updated?

Edit: running 12.04 LTS.

Beans
    Distro

Re: X locks up when enabling wifi

I found a temporary workaround: by attempting to connect to a different wireless network, canceling, and then connecting to my network again, I can reset it without the whole system locking up. I have to repeat this procedure every few minutes.

Beans

Are there any entries in /var/log/syslog for this? I notice that on my Lenovo, after is did the 12.04.3 LTS updates, I had to get a new WLAN driver from Lenovo to get it to work.

Beans
    Distro

The problem seems to have magically fixed itself. Knock wood...