Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAE problem solved in 14.04. Forcepae option.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

PAE problem solved in 14.04. Forcepae option.

For almost two years, or since Ubuntu 12.04 was released, there has been a steady stream of posts about PAE and related problems.

12.04 was the first Ubuntu for which a special non-PAE version wasn't available. X/Lubuntu carried on supporting non-PAE processors for one release more, making 12.10 their first PAE-only release.

Several workarounds have been published which enabled the affected hardware (the Banias part of the Pentium M family) to run the latest Buntus.

From 14.04 the boot option forcepae has been added, which eliminates the need for these workarounds. More here.

I suggest that when people encounter a PAE related question they spread the word and point to Lubuntu 14.04 and the boot option, provided that the person asking is willing to run a beta version, of course.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: PAE problem solved in 14.04. Forcepae option.

Thank you for your post. Useful.

FWIW: that page says

Now a string of options is visible, often with '--quiet' or '--quiet splash' at the end.
    I checked the boot options, and it says "quiet splash --", which is something else I would say: no '--' before 'quiet'

FWIW2: I tried "forcepae" as boot options, and dmesg says

Code:
    PAE forced!
    HTH

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    For almost two years, or since Ubuntu 12.04 was released, there has been a steady stream of posts about PAE and related problems.

12.04 was the first Ubuntu for which a special non-PAE version wasn't available. X/Lubuntu carried on supporting non-PAE processors for one release more, making 12.10 their first PAE-only release.

Several workarounds have been published which enabled the affected hardware (the Banias part of the Pentium M family) to run the latest Buntus.

From 14.04 the boot option forcepae has been added, which eliminates the need for these workarounds. More here.

I suggest that when people encounter a PAE related question they spread the word and point to Lubuntu 14.04 and the boot option, provided that the person asking is willing to run a beta version, of course.
    +1

Soon we can spend our efforts on other tasks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread should be stickied when 14.04 is finally released.
    I myself, have bookmarked it, as well as the wiki.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks everybody

Sanderj, feel free to edit the wiki page if something is not correct. Goes for the English language as well...
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Sanderj, feel free to edit the wiki page if something is not correct. Goes for the English language as well...
    Done. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

After an install built on forcepae the output of lshw or similar shows a CPU description which contains PAE, for example

Code:
    product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1500MHz
              vendor: Intel Corp.
              physical id: 1
              bus info: cpu@0
              version: 6.9.5
              size: 1500MHz
              capacity: 1500MHz
              width: 32 bits
              capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe bts est tm2 cpufreq

This might lead to incorrect statements like 'see, I already had PAE, so why did you want me to add the boot option?'

Just for stating the obvious, the PAE flag is not output from the processor itself, it comes from a software modification of the output. When helping beginners we might need to explain this more than once.

Beans

hi, i`m one of the guys who worked on this solution, it`s not a problem that the flag is inserted by software, as that insertion only takes place on processors which are pae capable. there are many pentium M which actually CAN do PAE, but the don`t correctly tell about, i.e. if you ask those cpu for their capabilities they won`t tell that they have PAE - and that´s the reason why a PAE kernel won`t boot on such cpu`s. so, just force it and things go smooth again. and to have a smooth upgrade path, forcepae also fixes the missing-pae-flag in /proc/cpuinfo problem (as update packages check for it)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thousands of Banias users owe you a big thank you
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 20th, 2014 at 09:39 PM.

Beans

I have a viglen MCP and I'm trying to install the latest Lubuntu. I got the pae error and found this thread so added forcepae after the -- in the boot options but I still get the message "This Kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:pae"

Does anybody know why and is there a work round. I'm using the lubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386 iso on a USB stick.
    Last edited by dave9469; April 26th, 2014 at 11:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast