Okay Here is what happened.

Step 1: Ubuntu ran amazingly fast and worked great from the live dvd.
Step 2: Ran the installer from the live dvd, enabled updates and 3rd Party repo's
Step 3: Boot into the freshly installed system, it worked great for about 10 mins until,
Step 4: Opened a console and ran, sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade
Step 5: It got about halfway through the updates and the system locked completly up, the graphics spazzed out, and i couln't move the mouse or keyboard.
Step 6: Try to reboot into ubuntu, I can get to my desktop but all i see is the unity side bard and window saying that a system error has occured, Do I want to report it? I can't select anything as my keyboard and mouse dosen't work.
Step 7: Try to boot into recovery mode, I get the screen asking what i would like to boot, ie the console.. graphics fail safe... etc.. Its locked up can't select anything.

Is there a way to fix this? I suspect its a graphics issue. Ram is okay, the machine runs great with windows on it, I don't think its a hardware issue. Also before I ran debian on this machine with great results, but the audio was glitchy. I was trying to run ubuntu 13.10 amd64.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD 8320 FX
GPU: Nvidia 9800 GT
Ram: 1 stick of 8 GB @ 1600
Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
HD: 1 tb hard drive with windows on it, 400 Gb hd with ubuntu installed on it.
Generic dell mouse and keyboard connected via usb.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

David.