Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet and perhaps even wireless connection gets disconnected intermittently

Beans

Unhappy Internet and perhaps even wireless connection gets disconnected intermittently

I am new to Ubuntu and this forum. So, pardon me for my half baked knowledge.

I bought a Dell 3537 - preloaded with ubunbtu. After, upgrading to the latest updates, my wifi stopped working. I found https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker...able/v3.9-rc4/ and installed the driver. But, I observe the following:

Internet works absolutely fine for few minutes and then gets disconnected for few seconds. This keeps happening. I am pretty sure that connection to the wifi also is disconnected, but that isn't reflected in my network manager. My other laptop which runs Windows 7 doesn't have any issues connecting to the same network

I have tried to gather some information, which might help to solve my problem. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

PK

uname -a
    Code:
    Linux PK-LAPTOP-UBUNTU 3.5.0-47-generic #71~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 19 22:02:52 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    lsb_release -a
    Code:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
    Release:    12.04
    Codename:    precise
    sudo lshw -C network
    Code:
    *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 07
           serial: 74:86:7a:50:53:60
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=r8169 latency=0 multicast=yes
           resources: irq:60 ioport:4000(size=256) memory:c0700000-c0700fff memory:c0400000-c0403fff
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
           vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 01
           serial: 80:56:f2:94:40:b3
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.5.0-47-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.2 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
           resources: irq:19 memory:c0600000-c067ffff memory:9fb00000-9fb0ffff
    iwconfig wlan0
    WHEN CONNECTED:
    Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"tata"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 28:28:5D:35:E9:2C   
              Bit Rate=2 Mb/s   Tx-Power=16 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:on
              Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-38 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:61  Invalid misc:1   Missed beacon:0
    WHEN DISCONNECTED:
    Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"tata"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 28:28:5D:35:E9:2C   
              Bit Rate=121.5 Mb/s   Tx-Power=16 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:on
              Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-27 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    Last edited by prathamesh2; March 16th, 2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Command output was put in Code tags

Beans

Re: Internet and perhaps even wireless connection gets disconnected intermittently

Welcome to the forums Prathamesh!

Please use code tags for posting command outputs. Follow the "Using Code Tags" link in my signature to see how. You should edit your post above to do that now.

For the wifi, please try this -
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off
    If that doesn't help, try creating a conf file to load the driver with a parameter -
    Code:
    echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    Either reboot after this or manually reload the driver with -
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rv ath9k
    sudo modprobe -v ath9k
    If these don't help, please follow the "Wireless Script" link in my signature, download and run the script as per instructions there, and post back the report it generates.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Re: Internet and perhaps even wireless connection gets disconnected intermittently

Code:
    didn't work for me.

I am sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean by -

If that doesn't help, try creating a conf file to load the driver with a parameter -
    Code:
    echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    Where do you want me to create a file? What should be the name of the file? If the content of the file has an echo in it, won't it just print what follows it?
    As I had mentioned earlier, I am new to ubuntu, so some of my question might be really stupid.

Also, I have gone a step further and ran your script and following is the output - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7101870/

Thank you.
    PK
    Last edited by prathamesh2; March 16th, 2014 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by prathamesh2 View Post
    Code:
    didn't work for me.

Where do you want me to create a file? What should be the name of the file? If the content of the file has an echo in it, won't it just print what follows it?
    As I had mentioned earlier, I am new to ubuntu, so some of my question might be really stupid.

Thank you.
    PK
    Hi,

Varunendra also asked you to follow the Link to the "Wireless Script" in his signature if you had any trouble with his instructions.

You will find that is quite straight-forward.

Good luck -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Unhappy Re: Internet and perhaps even wireless connection gets disconnected intermittently

I have already ran the script - please see my reply again.
    Here is the output of the script -

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7101870/

Beans

Unhappy Re: Internet and perhaps even wireless connection gets disconnected intermittently

Hi Varunendra,

I finally understood what you saying about creating ath9k.conf and loading the driver. I did that but to no avail.
    I have ran your script and the output is at - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7101870/

Please help me with this issue.

Thanks,
    PK

Quote Originally Posted by prathamesh2 View Post
    Code:
    didn't work for me.

Also, I have gone a step further and ran your script and following is the output - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7101870/

Thank you.
    PK

Beans

Hi Prathamesh !

From your user name I'm assuming you are an Indian. If so, then first of all I'd like to wish you a very Happy Holi !

That's also the reason why it took me so long to reply. I slept most of the day today after having fun in the morning, and now am replying posts after midnight (it's 2:15 am now).

Okay, onto the problem.

I hope you used the command echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k to create the file. That command automatically creates the required file and puts the required line in it.

However, one of your routers/access-points seems to be using WPA/WPA2 mixed mode and the other one WPA with TKIP. Both are highly discouraged. Another thing that looks problematic to me is that one of your access-points is using channel "12", while your current settings seem to allow only channels 1 to 11. Accordingly, please make following changes in the routers/access-points -

1) Set the encryption type in both routers to pure WPA2-AES (CCMP). No mixed mode, no TKIP (WPA (1) needs TKIP, so avoid that too).
    2) Change the channels to 1 or 11. They usually offer better signal quality.

After making any changes in the router, Save it > Reboot the router.

Additional potential problems :

Does your /etc/modules file really contain "lp" and "rtc" twice? That's not a problem, but may be confusing. However, the existence of "b43" in it IS a problem.

Please open the file with root privilege (by using command "gksu gedit /etc/modules"), and remove "b43" from it (also remove the 2nd pair of "lp" and "rtc" if they are written twice).

Lastly, are you located in Canada? Because the driver seems to be picking up the same regulatory domain settings as per dmesg part. We may have to force the same settings as your router supports.

Please try these for now and let me know how it goes. Sometimes you may not connect to wireless if a cable connection is working, so keep the Ethernet disconnected while trying to connect to wireless. I don't think we need a newer driver, but that is an option too if correcting/optimizing the local settings doesn't help.
    Varun

Beans

Hi Varunendra

Thanks for all your help and time you are spending to solve my problem. Thank you for Holi wishes. Hope you had a great time celebrating holi. I reside in India.
    I have changed router settings and I have removed double occurence of lp and rtc in the /etc/modules file. Also, b43 has been removed. Still the problem exists

My router setting now look like those in the image:

Beans

The router settings look good to me now, although you may try disabling "QoS" for a test. Of course reboot the router after saving the change as always recommended.

I had a discussion with my seniors here on the forum about these parts from your report -
    Code:
    [24332.879842] ath: regdomain 0x807c updated by CountryIE
    [24332.879845] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x807c
    [24332.879847] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a country code
    [24332.879850] ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
    [24332.879853] ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x3a
    [24332.879856] ath: Country alpha2 being used: CA
    [24332.879858] ath: Regpair used: 0x3a
    ..and from the very clear explanation I got, I think this is what may be happening here -

It seems your wireless card was originally manufactured for Canada, and it is therefore telling the driver to use the same regulatory domain settings (CA). However, assuming that your router was manufactured for India and uses the same regdomain settings (IN), it is advertising that setting. Due to this discrepancy between the card and router settings, the driver is defaulting the settings to "00", which the router may not like much.

As such, I think we should try forcing the setting for "IN" (India) on the driver so that the link is consistent with the router settings. Please run the following command to do this -
    Code:
    sudo iw reg set IN
    Then check -
    Code:
    iw reg get
    It should show "country IN" and related settings. Does the connection become any better with this? Try the same thing with and without "QoS" enabled in the router.

If the behaviour is still the same, please try disabling "N" channel in the router (set it to b/g only mode) if the router provides an option to change the mode.

If still no go, please post a fresh wireless-info report with the above settings applied (in router, "QoS" and "N" channel disabled, in Ubuntu, regdomain "IN" applied).
    Varun

Beans

Hi Varun,

By, now you must have figured out that I have two wireless routers (with wireless PK_HOME and PK_HOME_TATA) and my connection to either of them behaved in the same manner as described in my original post.
    Now this is something that will be difficult for you to believe, but connection to one of my router is now working fine. An hour back I just logged in and found that my laptop was able to connect to one of them without any intermittent disconnects to one of the router (PK_HOME_TATA).
    I then read your post and still went ahead with suggested changes in both routers viz. disabled the QoS, changed the type to b + g.
    Also, I changed the regdomain to "IN" in both routers
    iw reg get
    Code:
    country IN:
        (2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
        (5170 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
        (5250 - 5330 @ 40), (N/A, 20), DFS
        (5735 - 5835 @ 40), (N/A, 20)

I see the same behavior that it is connecting to one of the router without disconnection (PK_HOME_TATA), while the connection to the other router is intermittent. Trust me on this, but I have seen this behavior before and both will exhibit disconnections after an hour or tomorrow.

Here is the latest output of the wireless script -
    http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/7115935/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update this morning - 19th March 2104
    As mentioned above, although not sure why, but connection to one of my router (PK_HOME_TATA) was working fine. It was still the same with only intermittent connection to my other router (PK_HOME). Just to try something, I changed the channel on this router to 11 (I had changed it from AUTO to 1 yesterday) and it started working. Now, I have tested this for more than 90 minutes and things look good. At the end of this post, you will find screenshot of my router settings

I am not sure what fixed what, but what I am worried about is that, things might go wrong after some time , like a kernel update or this problem will occur even now if I try connecting to some external wifi network like at the airport/coffee shop.

Thank you for your help,
    PK

Last edited by prathamesh2; March 19th, 2014 at 06:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast