Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xterm copy & paste?

Beans

Xterm copy & paste?

I'm trying to copy from xterm and paste into leafpad in lubuntu 13.10.

Nothing I've found works. Ctl-shift-C just exits to a new command line. Middle mouse button does nothing.

It seems just ridiculous to me that simply copying from the terminal to clipboard is so convoluted in 2014. This is just one reason why I think lubuntu is unsuitable for noobs, and probably also those of us who don't give a flying frak about geek points.

The thing is, the time saved by the extra speed of lubuntu on my 1Gb netbook compared to kubuntu (KDE!) has been more than made up by all the extra time and effort involved in simple configuration such as this. This is not a more efficient way to do computing.

Can someone suggest either how to actually do this, or suggest another terminal that doesn't bring in a gazillion dependencies that actually has a menu bar that will actually copy selected text to a terminal?

This is the 21st century ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Xterm copy & paste?

Marking text then pasting with the middle mouse button doesn't work for you?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2210754
    Please have a look here. May not be of much use as the user got it magically fixed. But copy/paste within xterm with shift-ctrl-c and shift-ctrl-v works here. ctrl-v to paste in Leafpad.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

That's strange. I just launched xterm (from a bash shell in xfce4-terminal) and couldn't copy from it with Ctrl-Shift-C.
    But simply highlighting the text to copy and then middle(scrollwheel)-clicking in the destination window works perfectly. And it's so much quicker and easier than all that ^C,^V stuff.

Beans

If you are using Lubuntu as you state, use LXTerminal instead and you will have the keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste.
    Accessories > LXTerminal
    It has a menu too. For copy and paste, see the Edit Menu.

XTerm only works with highlight text to copy and then middle-click to paste (as far as I can tell)
    Last edited by Dennis N; March 15th, 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ah. maybe something. I can reproduce in UXTerm, works fine in LXTerminal. I may have been confused, sorry. It is specific to Xterm : http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-xterm-130077/
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

If you want to copy the output fo the entire command you may want to learn about the xclip package. To use it in terminal you can type
    Code:
    foo | xclip
    where foo is the command output you want to copy. To get it install it in synaptic, lubuntu software center or by entering
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xclip
    Clipit is another option that does something similar as well. Although I have only tested this with xterm in 14.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh thanks, did not know about xclip. Installed
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I've found a solution, though it's not really elegant.

I installed kde-plasma-desktop from the ubuntu repos. I had kubuntu previously on this thing, and while you can get that to run a lot better in a 1Gb netbook with Cedarview gma than you'd think, it has frustrating latency. Running the base kde package in openbox is much faster, though there were some pains configuring it. No worse than lubuntu in general though ... I may install kubuntu 14.04 later if I add some RAM to this thing or use lubuntu 14.04 with this kde desktop.

So since konsole actually has decent features, like kde in general, I don't feel like I need lubuntu terminals anymore. So I'm going to mark this solved.

Thanks for all the responses.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Would you please then mark your thread as solved ? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads
    Thanks!
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast