Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu

Replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu

I have come into the issue recently with windows 7 being (non genuine) I REALLY don't want to have to shell out money for a key to genuine-ize(?) it, and not only that, I want to learn more about Linux systems etc. At the minute I only have Ubuntu on my laptop with kali Linux (which is still too advanced for me) so I'm thinking of changing windows for Ubuntu. I just don't know what to use?

The main worry I have about this, is how it will affect all my currently installed programs and applications? I don't want to fill up my computer with multiple copies of sever things for windows and linux systems. And what about games etc, How many of them will I be able to run on linux, will it only be the ones that have Linux versions available? and will this make my windows .exe's unplayable while running on Linux OS? Then theres skype, as far as I understand skype isn't 100% functional on Linux just yet?

Would I be better off with the same version I have on my laptop, 12.04 LTS (which I believe is Precise?) or would I be better or with the latest (raring?) release?
    Again, as far as I understand, the raring (or the most recent version of Linux, which I will hence forth refer to it as.) has far more applications available to it, that work correctly with this latest release, than my current 12.04 LTS version has.

Not only that, (I know I'm being a pain) but how would I go about installing it? At this moment in time, I think I'm looking at dual boot with windows 7, so I can still keep using applications I have, when my linux side OS isn't fully supporting them. I'm not sure yet if I want to go all out and do a full format and fresh install, just saving personal data, or whether to just install Ubuntu on a space on my hard drive?

My main C drive is about 100Gb (97.5Gb) but currently only has 17.6Gb available. My secondary HD is a 2Tb Sata drive (1.72Tb) currently with 916Gb free space. Personaly I want to use the Main C drive to house both OS's and use my sata for all personal data, games and the main large portion of programs (I.E. installing the main program in the Sata and just having them intergrate the neccesary files in the C drive)

Am I actually making any sense at all? I'm really struggling with this! I've always had these sort of issues, I like to keep the OS portion of a hard drive as cluttler free as absolutely possible for best performance, and to provide as much protection as possible to personal data if anything happens to C files, corruption, deletion, virus etc.

Well.... I hope I haven't totally contradicted myself at any point and that someone can actually make sense of all that and provide some insight and help

~Matt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu

My advice? Wait until Ubuntu 14.04 comes out and install that. You could install 12.04 and then when 14.04 comes out you will get an invitation to upgrade to 14.04 which has 5 years support and Unity 7 which is much improved over the version of Unity in 12.04. Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) and Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) only have 9 months support. So, go for 14.04.

Ubuntu will install into less than 10GB of disk space. So, you could install Ubuntu as a dual boot with Windows 7 on the same hard disk and then when you want to get rid of Windows 7 just re-install and give Ubuntu all the disk space or resize the Ubuntu partition to take over the space used by the Windows 7 partition. Re-installing is simpler. Keep all your data files (documents, etc.) on the 2TB disk.

Decide what you want to do and then ask for more specific advice. Dual booting with Windows 7 on the same disk will require you to make unallocated space for Ubuntu using Windows 7 utilities. Run a defrag utility two or three times before resizing the Windows partitions with a Windows utility.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

I'm definately thinking about a dual boot with windows 7, just incase I do need it any point, its already there, but hopefuly will go mostly un-used. as for waiting for 14.04, how long will that be? would I be better installing 12.04 for now and waiting for the invitation to upgrade?

As for installing it, when I did it on my laptop I used the kali linux partitioning tools to create the space required for it to install. I will be keeping all personal data on the 2Tb Sata.

what will happen to all my programs that are windows versions though? If I can't use them, I may as well opt for a re-format and get rid of everything unneccesary in one go? As I said, I don't really want multiple versions of programs to account for the different OS's.

~Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you can avoid an online upgrade, do it. Always prefer a fresh install.
    14.04 is just around the corner (I heard April 17th...)
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Hidden!

After 6 years dipping my feet in Linux, I still use Windows permanently (in VBox) or occasionally (dual boot). Whatever I cannot deal with in Linux I use Vbox XP (iTunes, Mapsource, PPS...). I own a Canon scanner that, after months of Googling, cannot be managed in Linux, cannot be run even by Vboxed XP so I have to use real XP.
    I am a half baked Penguin so after trying my best, up to a certain point I give up. I am an old PC hoarder, instead of throwing out stuff, I keep them for these speciialized functions.

I could wait for the release of 14.04, provided it isn't too long, working with a computer with nothing but a blank background really grinds me. I've tried things like WAT remover and stuff and I realised, that I don't trust any of this stuff, things that have a direct affect on system files could be doing anything, so I want an OS that I can rely on and be safe with. Like I said, I would like win 7 as well, just as a fall back for any short comings with software that Linux may have.

Still dubious about the programs already installed and the effect their related files will have with linux. I don't want to overwrite / replace any neccesary libs etc that some programs might require. But If I re-format, I will need to re-install windows 7 as well as linux AND all my programs which I would like to avoid UNLESS doing so would have some greater benefit to system stability and smooth running.

~Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Programs you already have installed in Windows should have zero effect on Linux. If you want to use them in Linux, you'll have to install them in Linux. That is, assuming they're available for Linux.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux is not Windows:
    http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Ubuntu is not Windows
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...ows-to-ubuntu/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...tu/FromWindows

I knew I wanted to convert to Linux in 2006, so well before that I converted my Windows to use Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice. My wife liked Picasa and it has a .wine version that is one of the Windows apps that works well with wine. But I had one app Quicken that I had run from DOS days and it had a lot of history. So I ended up dual booting for a long time. But eventually the hassles of Windows overcame the advantages of Quicken over the default apps in Linux. Or KmyMoney was good enough.

If you have Windows apps you cannot live without buy the full copy of Windows. But plan on full conversion with Linux apps if you do not want Windows.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fluctuatinganomaly View Post
    Still dubious about the programs already installed and the effect their related files will have with linux. I don't want to overwrite / replace any neccesary libs etc that some programs might require. But If I re-format, I will need to re-install windows 7 as well as linux AND all my programs which I would like to avoid UNLESS doing so would have some greater benefit to system stability and smooth running.
    Doing a reformat and fresh install of everything is the most certain way of getting the best system stability and smooth running, but with all the updates you would probably have to install would definitely be quite a hassle.

No Windows program will run in native Linux or have any effect on the system; the program-loading processes of the two systems are drastically different. The WINE program that allows you to run some Windows programs in a Linux system translates these differences, but doesn't always do it properly -- especially if the Windows program uses "undocumented" features of the Windows system to do anything. As one of the co-authors of "Undocumented DOS" back in the early 90s, I became very aware of most of the quirks hidden behind the scenes in Microsoft's systems. Some of them were actually remnants from around 1975 or so! And I'm sure that a few of those quirks remain, hidden deep inside the most recent products out of Redmond, since one of the holiest mantras for any system developer is 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" And when marketing claims that a new product is "a total rewrite," don't believe it...

If you do choose to do a totally clean install, be sure to install Win7 first, then run a good defragmenter program (I prefer Auslogics Pro, which costs nearly $100 USD but does an excellent job; the last free one I tried destroyed the system I was defragging) on the Win7 installation at least twice before you attempt to shrink it to make room for Ubuntu. The disk will get rather fragmented when you install the other software and do the updates. Then use ONLY the Win7 "Disk Management" utility to do the shrinking; Win7 and the Linux disk tools don't always play nicely together. Finally, if you can do so, create a full disk image of the Win7 installation after the defragging, so that you can recover later if anything goes wrong, without having to reformat and reinstall again. My preference for doing Windows disk images was Acronis True Image, but I've not used it for several years and don't even know if it's still available...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

I figured windows programs wouldn't work within Linux my main concern was if any programs that intergrate with the C drive for using Libs etc would affect any of the runnings of Linux, what with them being installed on the same disk.

As for windows programs, there is nothing I can't live without. I've been running on Firefox and Thunderbird for years! so theres no major change for me, main concern really is with games and stuff I have, I can't imagine all of them have a Linux compatible alternative, and for this reason, I want to keep windows around for playing them.

I've decided, a full reformat is what I'm going to do! Could probably do with a spring clean out any ways

Against advice though, I won't be shelling out the defrag program, as good a job I'm sure it does, I just can't justify spending that much money for a person computer that I'm probably not even going to use more than 2 - 3 times. If I was dealing with multiple machines, then fair enough But thanks for the suggestion any ways!

Problem is, waiting for the new release :/ I have another week off work at the minute which would give me ample time to perform everything, where as when I start back its going to be difficult to do around my stupid work hours, as well as frustrating when things aren't going right I'll have to think about this one. See if I can find a definite release date!

~Matt

---Edit

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule

Found the release schedule, seems April 17th was indeed right!
    Last edited by fluctuatinganomaly; March 14th, 2014 at 09:20 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast