Thread: Installed Lubuntu on old laptop, wireless not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Installed Lubuntu on old laptop, wireless not working

I installed Lubuntu 13.10 on my dad's old laptop (hp compaq nx6310) and wifi isn't working.

I don't really know how any of this stuff works or what it means, but I did 2 things to try & get the ball rolling after reading a few other threads:

1. I tried Ethernet
    Wired connection is weird. It's recognised, says it's connected but it's not really there. It's not exactly zero non-existent. Extremely slow & only opens 1 page then completely dies. So it's only really connected in name.

2. I tried this command
    sudo lshw -numeric -C network
    Output:
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.2 latency=64 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s

I can't copy & paste to or from the terminal (reported that problem here) so I've manually typed that. Judging from other posts it looks like the important bit. I hope it's relevant & helpful.

Work your magic you lovely people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installed Lubuntu on old laptop, wireless not working

Do you want magic ethernet or magic wireless? Please run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -e 0200 -e 0280
    If you can't copy and paste from the terminal, I guess a pencil will have to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

I'd like to be able to use wireless, please. I checked wired in case that helps shed light on the problem & maybe aid with the diagnosis.

Here's what I got from lspci -nn | grep -e 0200 -e 0280

02:0e.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)

08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

I was worried I would have to type large amounts of text. Envious of your right-click functioning in terminal.

Awaiting further instructions, thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Please hook up the ethernet temporarily. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe b44
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    Detach the ethernet, reboot and tell us if it's working.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

I think it essentially worked, because it now recognises wifi & attempts to connect. But some other problem might be in place (maybe not even Lubuntu related, maybe general network issue?) because it just keeps going round & round and doesn't connect:

What I did gain is that wired is now working, hurrah. At least I'm able to install some applications, like the one I used to make this screenshot.

Beans
    Distro

Now that the ethernet is working, I suggest you fully update your installation and give us a new report.

Beans
    Distro

I seem to have lost ethernet. I was running the software updater but the process was interrupted when the electricity cut off. Lubuntu rebooted (dead laptop battery) & the router rebooted & somewhere along the way I lost it. Power failures are not uncommon on a good day & with the thunderstorm it's a lot more frequent. Hence my late reply.

Beans
    Distro

Oh the electricity just cut off again & when I switched everything back on it's now all working!!!! Wifi included, hurrah. Thank you so much chili555 I really appreciate it. I've rebooted a couple of times just to make sure it's not a fluke & wifi still going strong

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGene1402 View Post
    Oh the electricity just cut off again & when I switched everything back on it's now all working!!!! Wifi included, hurrah. Thank you so much chili555 I really appreciate it. I've rebooted a couple of times just to make sure it's not a fluke & wifi still going strong
    Great news! Glad it's working. Please use thread tools at the top to mark Solved. The searchers will appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro

I did mark it SOLVED! By the way it also somehow fixed the right-click and copy/paste problem in terminal!!