Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.04 min/max/close buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 14.04 min/max/close buttons

Quote Originally Posted by blitzd View Post
    No dice on installing fallback gnome - I clearly have the setting the way I want it in dconf-editor, but it's just ignored. I am starting to like gnome3 a bit more though.

Unity-Tweak tool doesn't do anything, I've switched it from left to right, logged in, logged out, rebooted, stood on my head... Nothin.

Ubuntu-Tweak tool doesn't even show those settings for 14.04.
    I'm using the Ubuntu Gnome version off 14.04. It has buttons on the right by default but only one, close. Tweak Tool enables all 3 buttons. The option in tweak tools is Windows -> Title Bar buttons.

Beans

14.04 unity does not appear to be using the same settings as gnome-tweak-tool, Unity-Tweak, Ubuntu-Tweak, gconf-editor, dconf-editor, or even gsettings are using (these all equate to the same thing I believe). I.e., button-layout is ignored.

I appreciate all the replies, but I've given up on it for the time being and settled back into 13.10.

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu-Gnome desktop was misbehaving for a while; log out, try to log in as another user and black screen. I could do 'ctrl-alt-F1', log in at the command prompt then type 'startx' and I'd get a functioning desktop. I installed XFCE4 (not XFCE-desktop) and chose that for the initial/SUDO account. I can now choose between gnome, gnome classic & XFCE when I log in. The default Gnome seems to functioning as advertized now. I didn't notice any difference between gnome & gnome-classic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by blitzd View Post
    14.04 unity does not appear to be using the same settings as gnome-tweak-tool, Unity-Tweak, Ubuntu-Tweak, gconf-editor, dconf-editor, or even gsettings are using (these all equate to the same thing I believe). I.e., button-layout is ignored.

I appreciate all the replies, but I've given up on it for the time being and settled back into 13.10.

iirc they decided that right side controls don't work with the concepts of unity environment - and rightfully so. Consistency is of great value and in unity there is a clear separation between the left side for apps, windows and their menus and ther right side for indicators and session/system settings. I think they also make room for new features, bit i might be imagining i've heard that.

I also had a kneejerk reaction and switched to the right side on my secondary netbook i am using to write this post because i was used to this setting from previous iterations of ubuntu and still have this setting. In the long run the inconsistency is killing me though, i have to be conscious if the window is maximized or not and go left or right. I go the to the wrong corner all the time and i am going to revert to defaults.

I have fewer problems switching back and forth between my right side pc and left side unity than dealing with a mixed, inconsistent bag of maximized left/windowy right.
    If the only reason to stick to the right side controls is habit, imo retraining is worth it.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

There is Also Cinnamon Desktop which has min/max/ close on right side by deafault.
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Distro

Hi there, I also tried to move the window buttons to the left side, as I've been used to this location since Lucid!!

1) You could go into "advanced settings" and click "all" for min/max/close window buttons

2) As far as moving the buttons to the left, the below link will provide instructions; yes, this method works, despite "Raring" being in the title

https://coderwall.com/p/76mwva
    Last edited by OGpmpdog; March 19th, 2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Ubuntu +1 (Trusty Tahr)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Using XFCE and KDE in 14.04 buttons can be placed anywhere and in any combination, Max, Min, Fullscreen. Whatever you want.

Problem with Gnome3, that I didn't particularly like was, Files had only close and to the Right, couldn't be customized.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    Using XFCE and KDE in 14.04 buttons can be placed anywhere and in any combination, Max, Min, Fullscreen. Whatever you want.

Problem with Gnome3, that I didn't particularly like was, Files had only close and to the Right, couldn't be customized.
    Even with tweak-tools? I have two installs of Ubuntu-gnome and both have 3 buttons on the right courtesy of tweak-tools. Could your problem be related to theme or something like that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Even with tweak-tools? I have two installs of Ubuntu-gnome and both have 3 buttons on the right courtesy of tweak-tools. Could your problem be related to theme or something like that?
    Sorry, today i logged into gnome after a long time.
    I have got no shell theme on my Gnome install, I generally use the default theme, like the black.

I am attaching the screenshot of 'Files', there is only one button 'Close' on the right, and that I have not been able to put on left.
    Tweak-Tools, as in Gnome Tweak Tool, that comes as default, has Maximise & Minimise but they do not seem to work, Turning them on doesn't do anything.
    Guess I have some problem with my install.

There is no option in Tweak Tool to set the buttons on left either, in Files, Tweak-Tool windows.
    Other windows follow left buttons, which I set in dconf, if I remember correctly, but Files, Tweak-Tool does not.

Screenshot - Monday 24 March 2014 - 03:58:41 IST.png
    This screenshot was taken with Maximise & Minimise 'ON' in Tweak Tool.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    iirc they decided that right side controls don't work with the concepts of unity environment - and rightfully so. Consistency is of great value and in unity there is a clear separation between the left side for apps, windows and their menus and ther right side for indicators and session/system settings. I think they also make room for new features, bit i might be imagining i've heard that.

I also had a kneejerk reaction and switched to the right side on my secondary netbook i am using to write this post because i was used to this setting from previous iterations of ubuntu and still have this setting. In the long run the inconsistency is killing me though, i have to be conscious if the window is maximized or not and go left or right. I go the to the wrong corner all the time and i am going to revert to defaults.

I have fewer problems switching back and forth between my right side pc and left side unity than dealing with a mixed, inconsistent bag of maximized left/windowy right.
    If the only reason to stick to the right side controls is habit, imo retraining is worth it.
    That's good for you - but for me it's a matter of consistency with other systems that I am regularly using - and Unity is the inconsistency there, so it's either going to have the right hand side buttons, or I'm just not going to use it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast