Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 14.04 min/max/close buttons

Beans

Re: 14.04 min/max/close buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Mateusz Stachowski View Post
    This setting was never exposed in control center and it isn't oversight that it doesn't work in 14.04 LTS. Look at the branch that implemented new Unity decorations and check its description.

https://code.launchpad.net/~3v1n0/un.../+merge/202582
    Somebody likes a fair bit of control:

Code:
    Not supported:
    - Window buttons positions (we want a consistent user experience in unity, that
      covers both the windows and the top panel and here the window buttons are, by
      design on the top left corner of a window. Always).
    Looking forward to the hack that allows an end user to chose their own experience
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blitzd View Post
    I took someone's advice and tried Cinnamon - which is quite nice. Unfortunately, the Ubuntu install from ppa ends up rather half-assed, missing themes, backgrounds, icons, etc... I'd try Mint if you're up to it. I'm running the LMDE with Cinnamon and so far so good.
    What you get in Cinnamon that you don't get with Ubuntu14.04lts with gnome2 flashback (Metacity) maybe you get fancy desktop Items but efficiency! special with papas stuff?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to UL&O/SC, seeing as this has turned into a discussion thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    What you get in Cinnamon that you don't get with Ubuntu14.04lts with gnome2 flashback (Metacity) maybe you get fancy desktop Items but efficiency! special with papas stuff?
    It's been my finding that switching to a different DE with Ubuntu always results in a less that positive experience, when in comparison with using a desktop environment that is the default for that particular install. There always seems to be so much more tweaking involved to get some sane defaults out of it. So, I guess it's not so much what I get with Cinnamon, rather than what I get with a version of linux that is based on Cinnamon as a default desktop environment. I've still yet to try Cinnamon on 14.04 though, I went back to 13.10 to get Unity with the right hand min/max/close buttons, and afterwards to LMDE with Cinnamon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Somebody likes a fair bit of control:

Code:
    Not supported:
    - Window buttons positions (we want a consistent user experience in unity, that
      covers both the windows and the top panel and here the window buttons are, by
      design on the top left corner of a window. Always).
    Looking forward to the hack that allows an end user to chose their own experience
    I'm also looking forward to the hack to get my desktop the way I want it.
    Maybe by 16.04 they'll give us the option to put the window buttons where we want again...

I'm glad they want a consistent experience, but I also know what I want from my computer, so please give us the option to do what we want.
    Last edited by gummygod; April 21st, 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gummygod View Post
    I'm glad they want a consistant experience, but I also know what I want from my computer, so please give us the option to do what we want.
    The source is there, it just takes the skill to change it
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

If this is all about consistency, why is it that window controls are on the left, but tab controls are on the right?

Beans

I had this same concern at first but have recently realized it does save me a lot of mouse movement to have them on the left. And me being the somewhat lazy humanoid I am quite enjoy that fact . But I to was trying various tools and never had any luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    Btw how do you manage to find your way around the ios or androids where everything is different?
    Excuse me, I didn't wake up this morning looking for ways to pick a fight with you or anyone else, but that is a stupid, stupid question, worhty only of shills.

So Canonical is not in the business of making free software for us to customize as we wish? That's their salvation! If they did charge money for it, what would happen? Exactly what has been happening to Microsoft, losing users like us who say "enough is enough," dump windows and go to whatever flavor of Linux we like. So of course, they won't feel a thing when we slam the same door shut on Unity and go to MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, LMDE and the rest of them. How lucky for them!

Canonical is not the first to do this. Some time ago, some genius at Mozilla had a Divine Epiphany and decided that all humanity must have tabs on top of tools. A hue and cry ensued. Result? A tweak to put the tools back where end-users thought they belonged. You can start any kind of philosophical debate about the metaphysics and holistics and whatever else of user-interfaces, but in the end, you only make enemies of your end-users if you get into the practice of shoving things down their throats whether they like it or not, because they're too dumb to know better.

I have news for you: for every high wall, there will always be someone to build a taller ladder, if enough users want it. That's how Linux was born, remember? So don't bet the farm on "never having the buttons on the right" because that hack will come.

And by the way, if you can't offer a technical solution to a technical question, and feel the urge to preach instead, the web does not lack political debate forums, pick your favorite, but "get used to it or use something else" is not an answer.

Addendum:

Oh, by the way, see the image below? Whaddayaknow? Buttons on the right for us heretics who reject the Canonical sacred editcs.

Problems is, to get this, you have to enable Windows Decorations is CCSM, which in 14.04, a d ONLY in 14.04 so far, conflicts with the Unity Plugin. Unity Plugin also conflicts with Gnome Compatibility. There's a new one for us, Unity is made for gnome, and gnome is incompatible with Unity??? Bravo, Microsoft, er, I guess, Canonical

Of course, there's no way around it, because disabling Unity Plugin = disabling Unity altogether. Which, by the way, coexists peacefully with both Windows Decorations and Gnome Compatibility in 13.10, 13.04, etc.

What a wonderful design philosophy: Introduce a bug, and call it a feature.... Where have we seen that before?

Mmm... yeah, wasted enough time on this idiocy for one year. Back to good ol' MATE, which does exactly what users want -- imagine, what a heretic approach!

Last edited by r_avital; April 22nd, 2014 at 08:52 PM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
    Excuse me, I didn't wake up this morning looking for ways to pick a fight with you or anyone else, but that is a stupid, stupid question, worhty only of shills.
    nope, i pointed out the inconsequence of the person who apparently is able to deal with 'non-standard' guis but for whatever reason can't do that if it's the PC.

So Canonical is not in the business of making free software for us to customize as we wish?
    No, what makes you think that? Their goal is to provide noob friendly distro that just works. People out there like hassle free setups and the popularity of apple branded computers is a proof of that.

Problems is, to get this, you have to enable Windows Decorations is CCSM, which in 14.04, a d ONLY in 14.04 so far, conflicts with the Unity Plugin. Unity Plugin also conflicts with Gnome Compatibility. There's a new one for us, Unity is made for gnome, and gnome is incompatible with Unity??? Bravo, Microsoft, er, I guess, Canonical
    Unity was built using gtk, that doesn't mean need to it needs to support every little thing.
    Also you must have missed all the problems canonical had with the gnome devs who reshuffle things all the time and cut features left and right. Moving goalposts are a pain to support and unity is going to be transitioned to Qt to cut the dependency.
    Btw, if you love gnome3 so much, explain why you can't define a custom date format in nautilus, which you were able to do just fine just 1 or 2 years ago.

Mmm... yeah, wasted enough time on this idiocy for one year. Back to good ol' MATE, which does exactly what users want -- imagine, what a heretic approach!
    Oh look, so many words to bitch about Canonical and while you had a perfect solution all that time! - use something that is actually advertised as customizable, who would have thought.
    And it's not like repos are locked and you can't have a dozen DEs installed with a single command.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast