Thread: Got Owned while using FIrefox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Got Owned while using FIrefox

Hi, I am almost sure that my Firefox installation has been compromised. What happens is when I download files to me /home/username/Downloads folder some of the files get deleted. IIRC I started noticing this activity for the past 2-3 days. At first I thought may it was me who deleted them but now I am quite sure. This guy whoever he is doesnt delete all of my files.He/she deletes only p***. I have files of similar content stored in other folders of my HDD but none of them got deleted. So I can only guess that he had access to on the Downloads folder.I use noscript, adblockplus but still this happened. Even if choose to put the apparmor profile in enforce mode the Downloads folder will surely be within the reach of Firefox.By any chance if the attacker had gained access to my entire home folder I am finished coz I was stupid enogh to keep my pass key of the password manager I use.

Firefox 27.0.1
    Last edited by linuxyogi; March 12th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
    Lubuntu 20.04

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Got Owned while using FIrefox

Any other unusual signs that would lead you believe that you have been compromised?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have my firefox browser set to delete all history and cookies upon exit. That erases anything I downloaded too. See if you have that option checked.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You sure it's not someone else with physical access to your computer that's checking what you've downloaded and deleting certain files?
    Registered Linux User #426227

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Any other unusual signs that would lead you believe that you have been compromised?
    No, nothing else.
    I have my firefox browser set to delete all history and cookies upon exit. That erases anything I downloaded too. See if you have that option checked.
    No that option was not enabled. I am sure.
    You sure it's not someone else with physical access to your computer that's checking what you've downloaded and deleting certain files?
    There's no one else at my house who uses a PC.I have deleted the Elementary OS installation. I tried installed Ubuntu 14.04 using the daily image but the boot process kept on hanging. So I installed Xubuntu 12.04. I am no longer using FF. I am using Chromium now.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you have Bluetooth turned on and sharing? It gives access to the ~/Downloads directory and, if setup, allows remote devices to delete files

Attachment 251132

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

An idea maybe to download a test file into something other than the default FireFox download folder some thing like ~/doesthiswork.
    Then switch off and on again and see if this new folder still holds your download.
    If you did this for a few days you would then see if things were going missing on a regular bases or not.
    This might indicate that your Firefox settings were not to blame for the deleting of downloaded files upon exiting Firefox.

Beans
    Hidden!

I switch ISP recently, because my previous one used to throttle my internet. I get my downloads cancelled mysteriously (when the files are large, and especially at the end of the month).
    I use torrent now when possible.
    One more reason not to distro-hop.