Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
Also...what is it about the unity desktop that you feel you must customize? what would you do to it? I'll admit it would be nice if they provided the option of moving it to the bottom, but that's not super critical to me as i have gotten use to it being on the left...and now they offer the option of putting menus back in the windows (a feature i love and use now) but what else? I mean you can shrink the pixel size of the icons (which i do) auto-hide it (which i do also) adjust the auto-hide sensitivity (which i do...lol)...you can even add a "fan out" apps menu to use instead of dash search (which i don't...i like the dash search)...turn off the dash search online searches (which i do)...

sounds like plenty of customization is available already...

So, what else? make the dock pink?

I suspect those that say that unity desktop doesn't lend itself to customization and therefore that is why they don't use it is really a "smoke and mirrors" way of saying i just like the old fashioned desktop and don't want to use anything new...
But if I don't like anything about the way it's set up, and I can't do anything to change it at all, then why should I just be happy about it when there are other choices?

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
Alrighty since I forgot about this thread let me start with this:

Unity - you don't have control over what you can put on the top panel (without extensive digging in a configuration editor... is it deconf-editor? something like that); you can pretty much only control your background or icons or what appears on your desktop (icon wise) other than that it's all 3rd party implementations to do certain things.

With XFCE (for example, as that's the one I'm running) I can create new panels, add items to them, stack them, make them hide, add additional indicators (easily).

The post was originally about Ubuntu and I figured Ubuntu's default DE (Unity). Which a lot of users were upset about the lack of customization and the ability to make it their "own". If it were about the OS underlying features in general (debian package management, etc.) that'd be a different story. As far as I care. Unity DE doesn't fit me. Gnome 2 was perfect, XFCE is comparable. That sums it up for me.

Additionally - why not MATE? No current support in 13.10 without the use of a PPA - official repository support in 14.04 perfect, someone will more than likely make a MATEbuntu or whatever.
Exactly. These are great examples of what we mean by customizable.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
Speaking for myself I have no problem that a reasonable person may want something different. A simple "it doesn't work for me" is good enough. But I do have a problem with people speaking as though there is only one way to design a DE (Windows 95) and that Unity is bad because it deviates from the One True Way and then throw temper tantrums against Ubuntu and Canonical: it takes away our choice, it ruins the desktop, it betrays Linux, it has gone down the wrong path blah blah blah all because of Unity. "Haters" are not reasonable.

Also if one is making an objective point about Unity then one should expect disagreements if that turns out to be not true or debatable (such as Unity cannot be productive, or many people hate Unity: many of us also love it, or Unity cannot be customized: it may not be customizable the way some people want, like to look like Windows XP; it may discourage certain customizations like putting icons all over the panel or desktop, but it can be done)
Well, I was one of the people talking about Unity's lack of customization options, but you're not describing me in any way. I'm not someone who wants customization just because I want to make Linux look like Windows. In fact, well before anyone even knew about Unity, I was a big proponent for the mockups they showed us for Gnome 3, because I was excited about the new paradigm. When Gnome 3 came out, I loved it, but I was pretty disappointed with how hard it is to customize. But at least they gave us the option for Gnome Shell Extensions, which helps a lot in the customization area. I actually like KDE a lot because I can pretty much make my desktop exactly how I want it. Believe me, I have really tried to like Unity, but I just can't get into it. It just doesn't work for me.