Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreamweaver alternative for coding, ftp etc

Beans

Re: Dreamweaver alternative for coding, ftp etc

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that's it. I have 32bit libraries installed for other software and I have Java installed for IntelliJ and Eclipse.

Beans

I propose an alternative not only software but also coding.
    I no longer use software like dreamweaver for coding. Because the need of coding each page in the web site and the need to upload to the server each time you edit the site. it's too boring.
    So now I use Content Management System http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system
    Of course at first step I have to build the display but some software like the heavy "eclipse" or even a color editor like the simple "gedit" can do the job.
    and there are on internet xhtml validator than can check the code better than anything. For example this one :
    http://validator.w3.org/

my penny

Beans

I have tried a few things out. Google web designer looks ok, but doesn't have any FTP or site management tools in it (and I'm keen for open source, not sure it is). Looks like its really only for HTML5 and animated content, not really for coding. Bluefish looks ok, but again, can't manage multiple sites, and can't mirror a local site with an online one, its FTP seems annoying. Kompozer is no longer supported (why is this, is it a dead project?), but may give it a go. I'm surprised there isn't something out there that has taken the advantages of each package and rolled it into one!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I use Komodo on the Macs http://komodoide.com/
    They have Komodo Edit for Linux, but not sure about ftp..
    http://komodoide.com/download/#edit
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I used to be (>= 6 years ago) a frequent user of Dreamweaver in Windows.

But nowadays I am quite happy using Bluefish for developing and maintaining Webpages, and Filezilla for uploading and downloading. I keep these two programs open simultaneously, and find it quite convenient to work that way.

Furthermore, IMHO Bluefish makes it easy to produce cleaner HTML than Dreamweaver.

Beans

Hmm, seems Bluefish seems like the way to go. How do you go about swapping between projects (or are you only ever working on the one project at once)? I would be keen to see bluefish put in some kind of project manager, and as part of this, even integrate filezilla as part of the project management and a shortcut key to upload the file I am currently working on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by micwit2 View Post
    Hmm, seems Bluefish seems like the way to go. How do you go about swapping between projects (or are you only ever working on the one project at once)? I would be keen to see bluefish put in some kind of project manager, and as part of this, even integrate filezilla as part of the project management and a shortcut key to upload the file I am currently working on.
    It's easy to set up two or more projects under Bluefish.

And it's also easy to set up two or more Websites in Filezilla.

Beans

OK, but it means in Bluefish you need to find and load the project file every time you swap between 2 projects! That ridiculous! If I want to find some code I used in a different project, I don't want to have to go find the project file, I want to just quickly swap between the 2!

As far as filezilla goes, this seems ridiculous if you want to upload just the files you are working on. You would have to go find them in the tree in filezilla, when you have them already open in Bluefish! Bluefish has support for FTP, just sucks that you cant have a local site AND a remote site.

From the point of view of someone doing website development in a commercial environment on a daily basis, Bluefish has a lot of advantages, but there are a few BIG things that shouldn't take much to implement that is holding it back. I may try have a chat to the Bluefish devs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Mmmm Bluefish.
    +1
    Intel Core i5-2550K @ 3.4GHz
    16GB DDR3 Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX660 2048mb
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Beans

Google web designer has been fixed, no longer opens to black screen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast